Favorite Fall Call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

Favorite Fall Call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 2nd, 2010, 7:04 am

As the fall seasons get closer, for those that have a fall season. What is your favorite call and calling method to use?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

RE: Favorite Fall Call

Postby Duke0002 » September 2nd, 2010, 8:27 am

I aim for gobblers in the fall, but that's just me.

I have a glass pot with a couple of short, lightweight strikers that make nice kee-kees.  To deepen the kee-kees, I'll use a heavier laminated striker.

I also like the deeper gobbler-type clucks/yelps.  Have a new copper pot that will run deep, and will experiment with that.

Mouth call for purrs and clucks -especially for close up work.

Carry a gobbler tube, but am uneasy about using it -safety reasons. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 2nd, 2010, 11:42 am

I have a walnut box built by a local call maker that has a lot more gobbler than hen in it .  Like Duke , I target gobblers , the old boys preferably . This old walnut box easily makes gobbler yelps and clucks . But , new for me this season will be the Brass Trumpet . I have been carrying it with me every day practicing at every free moment . If I'm doing my part , it'll make fine gobbler clucks and yelps , and that cluck is right on the money ,,,deep and hollow sounding . As for the young and the hens it is great for them too . Sweet keekee.
 But , I must say that the XT mouthcall is by far the call I'm the best with when it comes to making calls on command . Gobblerman treated me to some of his homegrown mouthcalls , but I have been so consumed with the trumpet I haven't gotten around to running the new ones ,,,,,,,shame on me .
 37 more days .

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » September 3rd, 2010, 2:27 am

Like the others ahead of me it depends on your target, by that I mean, gobblers (old or super jakes)  to young jakes, hens and jennies.  If old gobbler than a good wingbone or tube call making those deep clucks.  I have several trumpets when cupped right will work very well, they also can produce good kee-kee runs.  If I get into a flock of mixed young birds then the standard diaphram call producing kee-kee runs or hen yelps. No matter what you can master or feel comfortable will work.  The bottom line fall is a great time of the year to be in the woods to hunt.  Fall turkey has its challenges but they are rewarding if you can fill your tag after a long hard day. 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 3rd, 2010, 10:39 am

Since we have no Fall turkey season here, my only calls will be grunt calls & antler rattling for deer.

I will be keeping tabs on you guys to see whose giving those birds a workout.

As usual, I'll be scouting for turkeys with binoculars from my deer stand.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » September 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

Like the others ahead of me it depends on your target, by that I mean, gobblers (old or super jakes)  to young jakes, hens and jennies.  If old gobbler than a good wingbone or tube call making those deep clucks.  I have several trumpets when cupped right will work very well, they also can produce good kee-kee runs.  If I get into a flock of mixed young birds then the standard diaphram call producing kee-kee runs or hen yelps. No matter what you can master or feel comfortable will work.  The bottom line fall is a great time of the year to be in the woods to hunt.  Fall turkey has its challenges but they are rewarding if you can fill your tag after a long hard day. 

X2
Jon
Turkeybuster

Matt Raymond

Postby Matt Raymond » September 5th, 2010, 10:52 am

This will be my 1st fall season. I have been practicing my kee kee's on my Quaker Boy Pro Triple diaphram that I use in the spring and they are dead on and easy to sound like a nervous lost bird. I have a Lynch box call that has a gobbler side for gobbler yelps and it's pretty good. I can also pull off a fairly convincing gobble on the Lynch box. I will also bring my wingbone with me. If it's cupped right, it sounds pretty much like a gobbler yelp. No dogs in CT so I'll be spending a bit of time in the fall woods trying to be were they are going to be. In CT, fall is 1 bird either sex. I'm a newbie so if a shooter is within range....

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » September 13th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Well got my vest loaded, Taken my cherry glass, ziricote kee kee glass, Marks brass trumpet, and a walnut gibson, a thermocell and a jake decoy. Should be set for that old tom. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » October 3rd, 2010, 1:33 pm

4 reeded bat cut mouth call is my favorite fall call. I wish I could wait for a longbeard but I can't pass up a flock of poults!!!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Return to Calling