New to mouth calls, advice appreciated

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
rjdrw01

New to mouth calls, advice appreciated

Postby rjdrw01 » November 14th, 2010, 2:59 am

Hey all, just picked up hs struts 3 pack and dvd combo. Not knowing anyone that uses a mouth call, i was wondering about any advice you would have. Took me about 3 days to figure out how to position the call in my mouth, have ben making some sounds (far from a turkey yelp or cluck). None of the calls in the pack are a single reed...should i start with a single? I have a cd of sounds and access to a turkey farm....anything is appreciated.

icdedturkes

RE: New to mouth calls, advice appreciated

Postby icdedturkes » November 14th, 2010, 5:37 am

The single reed for a beginner is a fallacy.. Most seasoned mouth callers struggle to make truly realistic yelps and cutting on a single reed... A good two reed with cuts is the best in which to learn..

Fit is the first step.. Comfortable with no hissing or air leaking around the sides..

The most important thing however is where the air comes from. . Most never learn... The term "blowing" a mouth call is false..

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 14th, 2010, 5:43 am

What I've found is that the double reed was the easiest for me to play, I only use one for closing. The most important thing is to find what fits your mouth the best and which is the easiest for you to play. Practice, practice, and practice some more until you are satisfide with your calling. Then move on to different reeds and cuts, and practice some more.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 14th, 2010, 6:44 am

I agree with the other fellers . I will add for clarity , HUFF the air from your own diaphram over the mouth call .
 A GOOD call is easy to operate and takes little air .

rjdrw01

Postby rjdrw01 » November 14th, 2010, 7:35 am

thanks for the advice. I trimmed the corner pcs off of one call to try to adjust the fit...seems to stay in place much easier with minimal air leaks. I will try adjusting a little more to get that little bit stopped. Doing so produced some higher pitches with much less pressure. I will prob drive my neighbors nutz but i am committed to this and am carrying it with me to practice all that i can. I cant wait to get out and have that "first deer" feeling when a turkey actually responds to a call i produced. I see why this is so addicting.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 15th, 2010, 3:14 am

If you have a cd player in your vehicle, then get yourself a turkey sounds or calling cd and practice as you're driving down the road. I have more than annoyed my wife with turkey calls so that she doesn't want me practicing in the house when she's around (it sounds good to me!?). You can make as much racket as you want as you're learning the proper sounds and nobody will care.

Try you calls on live birds once you get the sounds down. Make sure you don't practice in the area you intend to hunt. I practice in a state park where don't have to worry about educating birds ahead of the season. Good luck & don't forget to post pictures here when you get him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Scott Ellis

Postby Scott Ellis » December 11th, 2010, 6:54 am

Everyone has given great advice! The one key I agree whole heartedly with is to "push" or "huff" air across the reeds with your diaphragm. "Blowing" the call is completely mis-stated. Hence the diaphragm call.
Once you are able to start making sounds with call, I would obtain a copy of Tree Top Turkeys(treetopturkeys.com) There are two volumes of nothing but digital recordings of turkeys in the wild. Yelping, cutting, clucking, cackling, purring etc. Most every sound a turkey hunter needs to be successful in the spring woods. It will take hours and hours of practice to become proficient on your calls, but remember tone is not nearly as vital as rhythm. All hens have different voices just as humans. Ensure that you can consistently reproduce the sounds needed when hunting situation calls for it.

Below is a link to a filmed hunt of an Osceola I bagged on public land in "09". Notice the sequences of calling. I changed calling strategies as we changed set ups. Take note of the final set up that harvested the bird. The calling was dialed down to simply clucking purring and soft yelping. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdZNvLWPhY

S.E.

dam3391

Postby dam3391 » December 27th, 2010, 10:42 am

I have found that sometimes i need to bend the frame slightly to fit the curvature in the roof of my mouth for a proper fit and prevent air from going by.  Others have made great tips. 

I will say finding the proper call for you is what matters.  I tried a bunch of different calls before I found a type that worked best for me.  What works best for one person may not be the best for you.  Once I found the right manufacturer I was speaking really good turkey within a month of heavy practicing.  I am still working on the finer points luck purring and working with 3 reed and calls with multiple cuts that are a little harder to run.

Still can't go wrong with a straight two reed call, sometimes simple works just as well on a bird.

Scott that is one awesome video man!  That was one tough hombre you called in there.  That is a great instructional video on persistence, setting up in multiple positions, and how you seal it with the light sweet talk.  Did I hear some double calling with your camera man?  Great hunt and great tactics.  I imagine you guys were excited to bag that bird.  Always satisfying to bag a bird that others have failed on or has been pressured and wise.

Return to Calling