Locator calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
longbeard.386

RE: Locator calls

Postby longbeard.386 » December 24th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Brantleynator,
I'll have to agree with a lot of what's been said in reply to your posting. I've been told (not personal experience) that western birds gobble to a shock call best. I'm in Central Florida and have not had much luck with shock calls used on Osceolas. Any loud (preferably high pitched) noise can be used as a shock call. I'm trying to figure a way to carry a steam train whistle along in my vest. I know that's bound to do the trick if I can just carry enough coal to keep the kettle boiling. I'm surprised Primos hasn't come out with one yet!
Regards,
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too young to have a happy childhood."

Longbeard.386

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » December 26th, 2010, 11:36 am

ORIGINAL: eggshell

you are right about volume and tone...it's not called shock gobbling for nothing

I agree with eggshell and icdedturkes.  Crow call seems to work best in my area of PA.  I don't hear that many owls but load volume and tone of a crow call works great in my neck of the woods.  I use a MADD crow call and the volume is great!
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » December 27th, 2010, 4:26 am

I 2nd eggshelss sentiments, Annn123 find another place for your tasteless advertising--it won't be tolerated here!!!!

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » December 27th, 2010, 6:04 am

Rarely shock gobble, when I do I use a crow call.  Once the crows come in and start their own cawing, I let them do the work for me.   Try some soft kee-kee whistles.  That sometimes brings the crows in for a noisy look-see. 

dam3391

Postby dam3391 » December 27th, 2010, 10:21 am

i have found that crowing or owl hooting from my mouth works better than production locator calls.  I also find that tongue roll at the end works extremely well. 

I will say however, that as the season goes along in the spring that locators work less and less.  I have had a bird not answer the night before only to gobble his fool head off the next morning.  The night before would have you wondering if he was there.

I don't believe there is success with any regularity.

Using hen calls like others have said have produced better.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 27th, 2010, 12:39 pm

i have used an owl hoot and crow call with some success but i find a tree yelp usealy works well [:)] wayne

Previous

Return to Calling