Locator calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
brantleynator

Locator calls

Postby brantleynator » October 16th, 2010, 4:36 pm

I've used almost every type of locator call and have had absolutely zero luck. Crows are all over the place here and I've yet to hear a turkey gobble off of that. I blow an owl call and don't hear anything. The same with a cyote. The only luck I've had is when they are on the roost and I cluck and yelp very faintly. I've heard that duck calls can get a turkey to gobble. Is that sound advice? The only traditional locator I've yet to try is a woodpecker. Any suggestions? 

Annn123

RE: Locator calls

Postby Annn123 » October 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I blow an owl call and don't hear anything.
ugg boots bailey button
The same with a cyote.
ugg boots buy

The only luck I've had is when they are on the roost and I cluck and yelp very faintly.
ugg boots cardy
I've heard that duck calls can get a turkey to gobble. 

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 29th, 2010, 3:12 am

Annn123...Take your cheap and cheesy tasteless marketing somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » October 29th, 2010, 3:23 am

I heard dog whistles work too.  Might just be in the spring but I am going to give it a try this fall.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » October 29th, 2010, 8:03 am

Tons and Tons of guys claim a crow is in effective, they hear it too much.. But I have the opposite luck.. I would say from after flydown until I quit 80 percent of the birds I strike are with a crow, maybe 20 percent gobble to a turkey call  when they didnt gobble to a crow, which I turn to second..

I will say this, I have only found two readily available crow calls that work with a great deal of effectiveness. It is about VOLUME and pitch.. I prefer a touch higher pitch than a crow and alot louder...

A effective crow call when running and gunning is a tool I will not leave the house with, it is a huge advantage to have a bird gobble without having to use a turkey call. .

As for owl, they are primarily used in the morning.. Alot of days it doesnt take alot to get a bird to sound off on the roost..

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 30th, 2010, 2:37 am

you are right about volume and tone...it's not called shock gobbling for nothing

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm

well im glad to hear other people not having luck with a crow call i was starting to think it was just me. i've seen crows fly directly over a gobbler and call and the gobbler doesnt do make a peep. im wanting to try a coyote call and see how it will do since there isnt very many in the area im hunting. but i do have a good story for ya on a good shock call. one mourning after a unsuccesfully mourning i drove down some back roads just to look to see if any were out. i drove around a curve and gobbler was about 40 yds away in a field so i stopped to watch him. i grabbed the crow call and no luck, then grabbed an owl call no luck, then i opened the door and slamed it and no luck. i was like well then i didnt want you to gobble anyway and started my truck up and guess what he gobbled. i was like no way and tried it again and he gobbled again. i did that successfully 4xs and my truck is not loud. i couldnt believe it.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » November 3rd, 2010, 5:28 pm

icdedturkes is spot on. A crow call that sounds very realistic is nice; however, I would rather sacrifice a little realism in order to gain a higher pitch and tone. That's exactly what my crow call is like and I've had a lot of success with it. I would like to have a bigger arsenal of locator calls, though; maybe something along the lines of a coyote call. I was hunting one day last spring and it was about 5 minutes before daylight when I heard a coyote howling off in the woods less than 150 yards away. Needless to say it sent chills up my spine and it obviously had the same effect on the turkeys...I believe he woke up 10 different birds that morning!
Brian

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 5th, 2010, 9:40 am

I haven't had great luck with locator calls and pretty much quit using one (even though there's a crow call in my vest). I get the best reaction by throwing a series of loud, demanding cutts out there. Make sure you are about set up & ready to go before you call, because sometimes gobblers that are close and will just about jump in your lap. If you're not ready, they can bust you quick. Don't call too much, as it may take a gobbler a while to get to you. It has worked well for me not to answer his second & sometimes third gobble if the calls are close together or sound like he is getting nearer to you.

It doesn't work every time (what does?) though is has worked a lot better than crow calls have for me.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

misfire

Postby misfire » December 16th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I have heard birds sound off on train whistles, stop sign indicators, thunder etc. But darned if I have heard one sound off on a locator call

Next

Return to Calling