Box Call Help

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
mark hay

RE: Box Call Help

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2010, 12:44 pm

Da' gum sound advice in all the posts above . 

Self control is a BIG part of the game . In my early years I suffered from the lack of self control . I still get all wound up like a cheap bait castin' reel ,,but nothing like it once was .

I didn't kill a turkey on my own till the 5th season . Spring season that is . I was calling in a lot of birds . No fooling ! I just wouldn't wait on them to get to me . I suppose the memory of my first called in gobbler was always in the back of my mind . That Pike Co. 2 year old ran top speed through thick greenbriars for well over 200 yards . I guess I was thinking they all would be doing that . Can't tell you how many times things got quiet after a good bit of gobbling and I'd just get up and move and see this sprinting gobbler going away ,,,,high speed .

Get a call you are really comfortable with . PRACTICE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN . Attempt to run the call without looking at it and produce realistic turkey talk , learning the feel of the call , like them smart allec guitar players that hit every note and chord and never look at the neck . Of course this don't apply to the diaghram mothcall . We are going by the feel from the start with that one .
 Forget about everything and everybody else in the world when you hit the woods . Forget about time ,,,unless your up against the noon hour stop hunting time , or something like that .

Keep after this bunch here. You'll learn a lot and it's good to refresh the memory for a bunch of us ol' farts . [8|][8|] Did I say that ?

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » December 21st, 2010, 1:27 pm

Thanks, Mark. I'm 56 and getting to be one of those old farts. Believe it or not I just started to learn this sport a couple of years ago. I've always hunted, deer, birds, and small game, but never learned to hunt turkey. I really enjoy learning and being out in the woods. I guess I get impatient because I figure at my age I gotta learn real quick.
Bruce

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 21st, 2010, 6:04 pm

Well your at the right place Bruce, we here at the T&TH forum will be happy to give you our online crash courses to speedy turkey hunting [:D].
More seriously though don't be afraid to as question about turkey hunt on here, these website are a world of imformation with knowlage about these things. It would take you years of trial and error to learn what you can on these in a couple of days, they are a very useful tool. So if you have any questions about it ask away, the more questions the better.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 22nd, 2010, 12:59 pm

bruce one thing i might add about calls is that no two calls sound the same so having more then one call is a good idea in the spring i carry three pots two slate and one frictionate and four pegs and like i said before i have added a box some are soft and others are raspy some times when a tom hangs up giving him a different sound will get him commit you said you are hunting public land so learning to use a different kinds of calls my be to your avantage [:)] wayne

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » December 23rd, 2010, 11:08 am

I try to post intelligent and useful questions. I'm hesitant because I was told some of my questions were trivial and shouldn't even been asked.

shad309

Postby shad309 » December 23rd, 2010, 11:14 am

Goose,
Everyone is a newbie at some point and we've all had these questions and new ones come up with each passing season.

If someone told you that, they were wrong to do so. I don't care who they are, no one should be treated that way. And if that person has
a problem with me for stating that, it will be a pleasure to discuss it with them.

If you don't want to ask everyone, shoot me a PM and I will be more than willing and happy to help you in any way I can!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 23rd, 2010, 11:18 am

ORIGINAL: shad309

Goose,
Everyone is a newbie at some point and we've all had these questions and new ones come up with each passing season.

If someone told you that, they were wrong to do so. I don't care who they are, no one should be treated that way. And if that person has
a problem with me for stating that, it will be a pleasure to discuss it with them.

If you don't want to ask everyone, shoot me a PM and I will be more than willing and happy to help you in any way I can!

X2
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » December 23rd, 2010, 11:28 am

Sorry someone has been a butt head to you Goose...the only dumb question is the one you felt too stupid to ask. I once had a boss tell me ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever. All you need is some coaching to cure your lack of knowledge. There are two ways to learn, seek advice or learn by experience. Take my word for it the experience route is longer and more painful.

However, I did notice you said you were 56. I'm sorry there's not much we can do for you now; since you lose half your brain power and retention after 55...Just kidding now (oh by the way I'm 55). You got the rest of the winter to learn and practice calling, then it's "eat shot and Die Turkey" time! I will be waiting to see your pictures of that first tom. After all, your being coached by the best in the game here....why genius is just the norm here and we're glad to add you to the brotherhood. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 23rd, 2010, 11:52 am

UH,,,,I ,,,Uh,,,,retract the ''old fart'' part of my above statement,,,due to eggshell and goose being my seniors [:D][:D][:D][:D]

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 23rd, 2010, 11:55 am

bruce ask away my  friend i think i if i may speak for most of guys here talking about hunting tactics and learning from each here is the what we love to do. don't let one dipstick keep you from asking the things you want to know like shad if you want to talk you can pm me  but you should keep on posting on the forum so you can get advice from the guys i think we all have some thing offer each other[;)] wayne

PreviousNext

Return to Calling