Pot and peg conditioning

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

RE: pot and peg conditioning

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 12th, 2010, 5:30 pm

How big of a spot did they surface? Is it about the size of a quarter? You can sand as much of the surface as you like it won't hurt a thing as long as you sand it the same direction as they did.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Ruttinbull

RE: pot and peg conditioning

Postby Ruttinbull » April 12th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Scott,
I am building a glass over Red Purpleheart call.... it seems you posted somewhere you really liked that sound and I took the advice. I should be using it within days... just waiting for the glue to dry!!!!

Question... any particular type of striker sound the best with this?

All the best,
Randy

1Morgan

Pot and peg conditioning

Postby 1Morgan » January 15th, 2011, 4:46 am

My uncle scratches his in small circles and consistantly kills birds. All the directions say horizontal scratches only. What do you do?

What about your pegs?
South Carolina Low Country

kygobbler

RE: Pot and peg conditioning

Postby kygobbler » January 15th, 2011, 5:02 am

Ive always done the horizontal because thats what the directions said. As far the strickers I usually put the sandpaper on my leg and take the stricker back and forth. If theres a better way on doing these Im all ears.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 15th, 2011, 9:09 am

I like to use the blade of a knife drawn lightly with the grain across the striker tip.
This will make the grain lay down and the striker tip will become very hard , sandpaper tends to lift the grain in my opinion but will work also.
Jon
Turkeybuster

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 15th, 2011, 9:23 am

I ALWAYS sand horizontal on my surface calls because I have always heard that's the only way you should surface a call. I have never sanded in small circles or seen anyone else condition a surface using small circles so I don't really know what effect it has on the call. But hey, if it works for your uncle then more power to him! As far as my striker tip is concerned, I always like to make sure it's clean and free from dust, especially if I've been using my glass call. If I feel my striker needs a little conditioning then I'll do as kygobbler does and lay some sandpaper on my leg and rake the striker tip across it a few times (always in the same direction) and that usually does the trick.
Brian

jarheadturkeyhunter

Postby jarheadturkeyhunter » January 15th, 2011, 1:38 pm

My hunting partner use scotchbrigjt pad green and ligjter to burn tip on striker and pocketknife to put " finishing touch" on tip i use scotch brite and and emery my self and use circles for calling but i must admit i i use a box call much more often i love my heartbreaker
If you can read this thank a teacher.
If your reading this in english thank a MARINE.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 16th, 2011, 4:21 am

When you sand or condition a call you are creating microscopic grooves in which your striker vibrates over thus creating sound.. The reason it is recommended that you condition horizontal is, so that you can sweep your striker perpendicular to the grooves thus getting maximum vibration, hence sound..

As for striker conditioning.. I grind into sandpaper, than lightly touch green scrubby to it to remove sand particles.. Conditioning a striker with a scrubby is counter productive to what you are trying to achieve, it actually polishes the striker rather than condition.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 16th, 2011, 9:15 am

It depends on what surface is in the call. On a glass, alu. or copper, I go horizontal only. On a slate I've done both horizontal and circular, if you want the striker to grab better go horizontal, if you like a smooth slick surface go circular. A smooth surface gives the call a little higher pitch but is harder to play.
For my strikers I twist/grind into the sandpaper so that it is a rough tip, it's grabs easier. A smooth tip plays great on a rough call, but as the surface starts to get glazed it skips to much.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 16th, 2011, 10:53 am

What effect does burning the tip have on a striker?
Brian

Next

Return to Calling