Gobbler yelping

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
brantley6400

Gobbler yelping

Postby brantley6400 » June 13th, 2011, 4:04 am

Wondering if anyone can explain to me the best method/call for gobbler yelping. Is it best used in the Fall?

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Gobbler yelping

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 14th, 2011, 7:16 am

For the most part a Jake or Gobbler yelp is much slower and raspier than a hens yelp, They useally only yelp a few times 2-3 at the most, but I've had Jakes get fired up and sit there yelping like crazy, early in the fall. The fall is your better time to use it, but it will work in the spring as well. I like to use a box call, that has a deep rasp that sounds so bad you wouldn't think of using it in the woods. I like to start off with a couple of deep clucks, then a couple yelps followed by a yelp/gobble, and two quick yelps after, it's worked well for me .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 14th, 2011, 9:36 am

i agree w/ scott for the most part, but like everything in turkey hunting, nothing is set in stone, i have had gobblers come in yelping, in the early fall season, that for all i knew was a hen, til i saw it, and i can recall a gobbler yelp in the spring that was so deep and raspy, it didn't even sound like a turkey [ more like a frog ], but generally speaking their yelps are more course, i would say, i use a pot and peg call to imitate gobbler yelps mostly, instead of using the outside edge of the call, use the middle of the call, where the pitch isn't as high, and slow down the rhythm a bit.....you can use a mouth call too, just use one that you can make a deeper pitched yelp and cluck with.....and then there is the gobble, that will work as well.....good luck and happy hunting
David

You never know, unless you go

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 14th, 2011, 10:33 am

For calling gobblers in the fall I like aggressive purrs, clucks and angry gobbler yelps.  They are establishing their pecking order then and lots of fighting takes place.

During the late spring seasons gobbler yelps get a better response than hen yelps.  Breeding is winding down, hens are tending nests, the gobblers are losing testosterone and looking to reform bachelor flocks (they hang in these all summer) in order to do this they yelp at each other.  Not aggressively just in a where are you sort of way. 
Many hunters in the late spring season make the mistake of listening for gobbles which are fewer, rather they should listen for the gobblers yelping and clucking to each other. 
Bottom line during the last 2 seasons in WI most hens have been bred, the guys are tired of the woman talk and looking to start guy talking again.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

brantley6400

Postby brantley6400 » June 14th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the advice!

Chief Many Longbeards

Re: Gobbler yelping

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » March 8th, 2012, 10:00 am

thats some great advice on late spring season gobbler yelping, charlie
will give it a try this spring if i need to
i have shot some nice toms in the fall gobbler yelping in the center of a crystal or glass call with a hickory striker or using a box.

icdedturkes

Re: Gobbler yelping

Postby icdedturkes » March 11th, 2012, 8:49 am

I do not necessarily buy the "raspy" description of gobbler yelping.. Yes a gobbler can have rasp on the backend of the yelp like a hen can have rasp on the backend of the yelp.. I think its better described as both the front end and the back end have a lower tone than a hen yelp.. The rollover also is more drug out than that of a hen yelp..

I gobbler yelp pretty well on a tube and the manipulation of your lip can bring out that lower tone.. I have also received a pot that perfectly mimics the lower tone of a gobbler and the breakover point on the pot is much longer thus duplicating the delayed rollover.

I agree with whats been said about late season.. But traveling to different states, I have found it effective when season dates are too early and gobblers are still in like flocks and or just starting to find female flocks.

Return to Calling