never turkey hunted - which calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
CuttnThenStackn

RE: never turkey hunted - which calls

Postby CuttnThenStackn » June 14th, 2011, 5:34 pm

My opinion, stick to the mouth calls and master them. Not saying that slate or box calls dont sound good, but you cant beat the realism of a mouth call. You can use them hands free and make any sound known with them, it just takes more practice than a slate or box call. With that being said, I would recommend a TC custom diaphragm!

Mossberg835

Re: never turkey hunted - which calls

Postby Mossberg835 » January 18th, 2012, 4:51 am

Once again im late to the party but i might as well add my 2 cents. Everything everybody has told you is right on. I would like to STRESS the fact that using mouth calls might not be the best choice first because you might get discouraged if you arent doing it right or mabey you are doing it right but havnt mastered it yet. POT and PEG calls are agreat choice. One that i like is the Primos Ol' Glory, it has a ceramic surface. For box calls, and excellent choice is the Lynch World Champion Box Call. Great call that has called in a lot of birds for us. Hope everything helps you and good luck this spring. :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 18th, 2012, 8:50 am

Some great advice on this thread. I'd suggest getting yourself a tape or cd and see which type of call you can make sound the most realistic. Record yourself and play it back to see how you sound compared to the real thing.

I've killed turkeys that took a ton of sweet talking to get them in range, but I've also had some almost run down the gun barrel when they heard a few purrs and a cluck or two.

Whichever type you decide to go with, practice, practice, practice. Running a turkey call is about like playing a musical instrument, you just can't make it sound too good. It won't be necessary to become the first chair in an orchestra, but the better you sound, the more turkeys will buy what you're selling.

I enjoy going to a state park with a good population of turkeys and practicing my calling on them, especially when it gets closer to the season and the birds become more cooperative.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

BigGobbler

Postby BigGobbler » January 18th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Buy a box or a pot call from a custom call maker. You will be glad you did in the long run. Do not be afraid to call to a gobbler, you need to figure out what his mood is and how he wants to be flirted with at that time aggressive or passive calling. Do not worry about making a bad call and spooking the gobbler I have seen and heard some real hens make some bad calls if that's what you wanna call it and it never bothered or spooked the gobblers in any way in fact I have made some not so good calls and sent gobblers into gobbling frenzy. Every hen sounds different. Do not get frustrated when you do not get one, some of the best turkey hunters do not get a turkey every year. Good luck and be safe,remember that a gobbling turkey will attract people so put your back to a big tree and keep your guard up for creepers/stalkers. when you see another hunter walking by your setup in the woods do not wave at them, whistle at them to get there attention first.

Previous

Return to Calling