gobble call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
longbeard.386

RE: gobble call

Postby longbeard.386 » January 4th, 2011, 10:30 am

Grizzly,
I hunt public land in Central Florida. The first two weeks of the season you can stand anywhere in the WMA, blindfolded, and throw a rock. You'll get cussed for chunking a rock and hitting a "turkey hunter". Any direction! Blindfolded! Be very careful if you consider using any type of gobbling call. I've seen guys stalking another hunter that was walking along doing some cutting to locate birds. It gets scary. Be careful and hunt private land if you use a gobbling call to any extent.
That being said, if I use one I use (1st preference) my voice, (2nd preference) a Primos tube, and (3rd preference) a two sided longbox that puts out a high pitched gobble (jake). I sure don't use any of these often and never in the early season when the woods are full of hunters. Have a good time and be safe.
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too old to have a happy childhood."

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 4th, 2011, 11:04 am

understood longbeard that one of the reasons i've haven't use it yet but i hunt on my own land but you never no when someone who not suppose to be there is[:D] wayne

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » February 25th, 2011, 9:38 am

I DONT USE MY GOBBLER CALL ALOT AND WHEN I DO FOR THE MOST PART IT IS USED AS A LOCATION CALL! JUST TRYING TO GET A TOM TO GOBBLE BACK TO A RIVAL BIRD. AND IF I DO USE IT WHILE ON A SETUP I ALWAYS HAVE A TOM DECOY OUT.

retranger

Postby retranger » February 26th, 2011, 5:19 am

Grizzly I have a premo tube that I use. I also use my quaker boy grand old master box call. It came with a piece of elastic to slip over the handle to keep it quiet while in your pocket. I take and shake it quickly with the elastic over the handle and get a decent gobble. I usually only use it when a tom is hung up. It's a last resort type thing.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 26th, 2011, 12:56 pm

I've been using a Red Wolf gobble tube for many years and have had mixed results. It sounds OK but I have never heard any gobble tube be all that realistic. It seems as though you can always tell when someone is using one. I also use it as a locator call but when I get desperate I do a mock fight and create all kind of racket. I have killed birds using it and always add it to my arsenal. I think I will take Scotts advise and try a box. Sounds like something I need to get better at.
live to hunt hunt to live

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » February 26th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I have a short box that was custom made for me by a part time, unknown call maker and it just never sounded good and never really worked well. So finally I gave up and put a rubber band around it and was putting it into storage. But with the rubber band around it, I shook it just to see what that sounded like and was surprised it sounded close to a gobbler. I can change the tone by changing the location of the rubber band. I haven't tried it in the field yet, but will try it this spring.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 27th, 2011, 12:34 am

i have been working on it alot lately it's starting to sound decent . it's call i haven't used before but i think it's time to add it as you say retranger as a last resort for those toms that won't come on in [:)]wayne

Previous

Return to Calling