gobble call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
grizzly

gobble call

Postby grizzly » December 27th, 2010, 3:49 am

as you know i have been chasing toms many years now but to be honest i have never used a gobble call mainly for a couple reasons one safety didn't want to draw hunters to my area second when i had a tom comeing my why i didn't want to spoke him by thinking there was a tom `he would have to fight. i have been reading some articles on how it can be a useful call .so i asking if any of you guys who use it. when do you use it .what kind of calls are there out there i remember one of the companys made a shake tube thanks for any info you can share[:)] wayne

kenturkey89

RE: gobble call

Postby kenturkey89 » December 27th, 2010, 4:45 am

Hey there grizzly,

It seems a lot of people I know don't use a gobbler call because of safety reasons, which is a very good excuse to leave one in your vest. I, however, ONLY hunt private land with one other individual and I have had some success using a gobble call. Some people don't like them because it's one more thing they have to carry around and I'll admit, it's not one of the first calls I dig out every morning in the spring woods, but it is what I consider my X-factor when nothing else seems to be working. I tend to use it when I have a bird hanging up at a pretty good distance when he doesn't seem interested in anything I'm saying to him. I say when he's at a pretty good distance because I have an H.S. Strut Twister gobbler call and you have to shake it vigorously to get a realistic sound, which creates a lot of movement so I only use it when I know a bird can't see me. Sometimes I'll use it in combination with some hen yelps to simulate a gobbler and a lone hen, which may entice a gobbler to come in and take a closer look. You can also use it as a locator call if you wish, but this is where it seems to enter the danger zone if you hunt on public land, especially if you're doing a lot of running and gunning. Primos makes a shaker call that will also suffice. Hope this helps!
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 27th, 2010, 6:42 am

Good question Wayne, I use a gobble call quite a bit. I use my box call to gobble on because I don't care for the shaker tubes, they don't produce a good gobble unless you add water to them and then you get soaked. With a box you can produce that high low pitch a lot better. Primo's and Quaker Boy both make good tubes, I like the Quaker Boy better, their three ringed tube sounds better then the two ringed tubes do. Lynch and Tom from Big Tom's Calls make good gobble boxes. I use my box mostly for a locator, if your hunting an area that you haven't hunted before, I like to be the first bird talking in the morning Toms will answer it, and so will the hens, I prefer it to tree talking if you can't get close enough to the roosted birds, or if they are off the property line and you can't hunt the land they are on. It works great for toms that are looking for birds, late morning or late in the season birds. If you have a strutter decoy with a single hen set out and you start gobbling your head off in late morning other less dominant birds will come to see if they can steal a hen away. Be ready because they do come in silent. I use it if birds are henned up tight, last year we were set up along a plowed field on the edge of our property and a flock of birds 11 hens and an old tom came into the hay field across the fence, he was busy taking care of his hens when another tom came into the field from the other end, two hens started towards that tom and the old tom took off after him, they fought for about 5 min in the field and that gave us just the chance we needed. I started giving the hens an old boss hen call and got the boss hen headed our way across the field she won't put up with another boss hen in her area. Both toms seeing the boss hen leaving stopped fighting and came on the run to stop her, as they got to her I started gobbling on the box and that hen came running with both toms right behind her, only the boss hen went back, my two hunters were very happy with that show. MOST IMPORTANTLY it is a safty issue, it will call other hunter in because it gets very noisy in that area, but it can be a very useful tool in your bag of tricks, so use it wisely.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » December 27th, 2010, 8:25 am

Hey Scott, I've seen Harold Knight gobble off of a tube call and it sounds amazing. I've never used a tube call before so I'm not exactly sure how that would work. How do you gobble using a box call?
Brian

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » December 27th, 2010, 8:27 am

I have a friend that gets a great jake gobble from an old Lynchs box. He rakes the paddle across both rails at the same time back and forth very quickly.
South Carolina Low Country

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 27th, 2010, 8:41 am

thanks for the response guys how much different is gobbleing on a box then cutting i have a box call i use for hen cutting it's pretty raspy so would that be a good tone for gobbleing [;)] wayne

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 27th, 2010, 12:07 pm

That's just what you need Wayne, a box that has some good rasp in it works great. It depends on how the call is made and what style of call it is. Some boxes gobble great some won't gobble at all. As Morgan said you work the paddle back an forth across both rails as fast as you can on the ends of the rails, that's where most of the rasp in a call is anyway. The secret is to learn how much preasure you apply down on to the lid and the speed you work it, and how long you work it. For a jake I start with a raspy yelp, then a short 3-4 gobbles, followed by two quick raspy yelps. For an old bird I start with a putt then go into the gobble, start fast and slow down and fade out near the end. If it's a good box, you should be able to get a squeaky squeally first note by putting some preasure down on the lid and popping it off that rail just like your striking a match, as you hit the other rail start easing up on your lid and it'll get better rasp, hit a couple of notes that way and start slowing down easing up more for the end. That's why I like using a box because you need to have that pitch change for a good tone in a gobble. You can do it with a shaker tube but it is much easier with a box call.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 27th, 2010, 12:45 pm

so guys got out my box call and i'm working on it one more qestion would it be better to use a long box by the way scott  i'm  using the gibsons i got from you and i think with lots of practice i'll be ready by spring[;)] thanks fellas[:D]wayne

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 27th, 2010, 2:33 pm

I figured that's what you were talking about when you said you had a raspy box. You should be able to gobble on any good box call. The short boxes work better for a jake gobble because you don't have the length in the paddle to control it as well as you do in a long box, which gives it some what of a broke up gobble instead of a nice smooth gobble. With those Gibsons, you don't want to pinch the handle between your fingers, let that paddle float between your two peace sign fingers. Never pinch the paddle between your thomb and forefinger, always play them with it between your first two fingers, you change the pitch of the call by putting preasure down on the lid and the angle you tip the paddle inword. The more preasure you put on the lid the higher pitch it plays.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

flp77

Postby flp77 » December 30th, 2010, 4:16 pm

hi grizzly i have a primo tube call that i keep in my vest and last spring we had the dominant gobbler hanging up on us for about 45 min he answered all the calls we throw at him but he would not come in so i yelp at him and gobble at him right atfter 5min later hi was a smoked bird definitly a good call to have in your vest have a good new year

Next

Return to Calling