Putt and cutt

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
dmcianfa

Putt and cutt

Postby dmcianfa » April 30th, 2008, 11:10 am

I'm not sure I can differentiate between putting and cutting with a mouth call.  Does anyone know how to achieve this or what type of sound or word you make when trying each so I don't alarm Toms with a putt instead of an excited cutt?  Thanks.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

turkhunt

RE: Putt and cutt

Postby turkhunt » April 30th, 2008, 12:55 pm

when i putt on a mouth call, i use my lips and and make a kind of puh sound, that should make it more soft sounding, and i just make the cutting alot harder with no lips, just tounge. 

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » May 1st, 2008, 5:13 am

So, why even putt, if its an alarm type sound for turkeys?  Also, a cluck is used and performed how with your mouth and in what situations?  I am curious on these three distict sounds of a turkey that sound very very similar when I listen to them.  Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 11th, 2008, 4:11 am

Dom-

There would be no reason for using a putt call for general hunting purposes as it is an alarm warning. It is very difficult to make on a mouth call anyway, so I wouldn't be concerned with making the putt by mistake or trying to learn it.

The cutt is an excited hen call used to entice the gobbler. On a diaphragm it is done by mouthing "chop" in a random, staccato fashion.

The cluck is an all purpose content/ location call, as in "I'm over here." It is made by mouthing the word "chuck". Used by a hunter, it is known as a "confidence" call to assure incoming birds that all is well. A single cluck is also ideal to get an in-range gobbler that is searching for the hen to raise his head for your shot.

In a hunting setup, you might start by emitting some soft yelps and listen for a response. If none, wait a few minutes and yelp a little longer and louder. If still no response, wait a while and turn up the excitement and volume by mixing loud cutting in with some yelping. Don't be afraid to make a racket for 20 to 30 seconds. Then shut up. For 15 minutes. Use a watch if you have to. A lot of toms will sneak in to investigate, without gobbling or strutting, so just because you don't hear a gobble doesn't mean one isn't there. This is where the confidence calling comes in. Some mild scratching in the leaves (three short strokes) and an occasional cluck call help to convince a gobbler that a hen is nearby.

That's the nutshell version. Most diaphragm calls have decent user instructions on the packaging. Your biggest challenge will be learning when to use each call, if at all. Good luck.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » May 11th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Jeff has put it well.

A "putt" is high pitched and insistant. When I have heard it, it usually starts off with one loud putt, followed by a brief pause, then regular putts every 3-4 seconds as the bird moves away. Turkeys will not mix in a true putt with any other calls.

A "cluck" sounds simmilar but is of a lower pitch. It can be singular, in an irregular series or mixed in with purrs or yelps.

A "cutt" is harsh and often loud. It can be delivered in a rapid and irregular series or mixed in with excited yelping. I will often use cutting before, during or at the end of a series of yelps.

Return to Calling