Tree Talk

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

Tree Talk

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 5th, 2011, 5:09 am

This is a good artical and video on doing some tree talking. For guys that like to work in close on roosted birds this may help you some. I've heard it many times and yes it works very well.

http://www.turkeycountrymagazine.com/Me ... tting.html
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

RE: Tree Talk

Postby kenturkey89 » February 5th, 2011, 5:56 am

Thanks for that post, Scott. I really enjoyed both the article and the video. I don't use tree calls all that much because I've always heard that if you tree call and a gobbler is close by, then he'll sit and wait up in his tree until the hen flies down first. But after reading this article, I may have to reconsider that tactic. And by the way, I got my glass call out yesterday that you made me, and it makes some great tree yelps[:D]

I have a question, though, that pertains to this subject and instead of posting another thread, I'll go ahead and ask it here.
In that article, he mentioned something about if it's not too humid in the morning, he'll use a slate to do some tree yelps after some tree pitts. Here in KY, it's always humid, which makes it difficult to produce good sounds from a friction call in the morning. Does anyone know of a good way around this, besides just putting in a mouth call?
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 5th, 2011, 8:11 am

Well with a glass call the humidity won't bother you as bad as with a slate call, they are like a spung. As long as you can keep you stikers dry, the call should play very close to the same. You can use a acrylic or a carbon striker also. You can also use a lighter to help dry out your striker tip, don't burn it just heat it up. Keep your strikers in a zip lock bag, it will keep them dry.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 5th, 2011, 9:11 am

Thanks a lot for the info, Scott!
Brian

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 6th, 2011, 4:17 am

That's good stuff Scott,,,thanks for the post .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 7th, 2011, 5:49 am

Good info Scott. I have used that lighter trick before and it works well.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » February 7th, 2011, 6:06 am

I have used something like this before just learning from what I have heard and it has always worked well for me.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2011, 11:16 am

Since watching the video I been practicing this roost pitting . I have found it in my ol' walnut box , mouthcall ,and trumpet . Have to try my ''TRKYKLR POT'' and WRC pot next .

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 8th, 2011, 11:52 am

Hey Mark,

I bet you can get some really nice sounds out of your trumpet. I really would like one myself but I don't know much about them or who makes them, I just know they make unique sounds and I think they're really neat calls.

I too have been practicing some tree pitts after watching this video and I've gotten pretty good at it on my mouth call, and my bronze-glass call from Scott really makes good soft calls. I've been practicing with my mouth calls for the past 2 weeks and I can tell my calling has gotten much better. The only call I really need get better at on a diaphragm is the purr because I'm not very good at it. Oh well, I still have 67 more days worth of practice!
Brian

Return to Calling