Trumpet calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Gobbleking57

Trumpet calls

Postby Gobbleking57 » May 12th, 2009, 5:01 am

For those of you that haven't used the trumpet call in your call arsenal let me tell you you're missin out. I bought my first this year and had great response to it once I learned to run it. I have seen this call work when others failed standing in the same spot. It was amazing. It will work on hens,jakes, and gobblers alike. They all seem to like it.
When you see red pump the lead
North Coast Gamecalls Prostaff
Gobbleking Turkey Calls
Gobbleking Custom strikers

steve in atco

RE: Trumpet calls

Postby steve in atco » May 12th, 2009, 6:02 am

Is there a place to go on the net that shows how to run a trumpet call?  I have one and have only played with it.  If not, is there a good DVD/CD that explains all.

Thanks

Steve in Atco

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 12th, 2009, 11:59 am

how would one go about belly crawling & playing the trumpet at the same time?...[8|]

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » May 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm

What kind did you get?  I just started looking but the $100 plus custom jobs are out of my reach right now.

Charlie Belle

SCPossum

Postby SCPossum » May 12th, 2009, 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

how would one go about belly crawling & playing the trumpet at the same time?...[8|]

I guess it depends on the size of your belly.  It can be done...trust me! 

Seriously, I used an all persimmon yelper this year and killed two birds with it.  It is excellent for soft calls when the birds are skittish.  The first to come in this year was a hen and she brought the flock of 16 birds with her.  5 were gobblers. 

The second was a three note yelp and was all that was required to bring the Tom 80 yards to the gun.  I love it and carry two with me at all times. 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 12th, 2009, 4:14 pm

you crawl on your belly with a trumpet around your neck?

steve in atco

Postby steve in atco » May 13th, 2009, 3:19 am

Ia bought a laminate one ($24.95) from Midwest Turkey Call supply.  It sounds good to me, but what do I know since I have never heard another one.  Any way I amy trying to teach myself how to use it but I can not find any info on to make different sounds.  Here is the link for Midwest supply.

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail.asp?pid=WL1&cc=T&dn=1&link=

Steve in atco

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » May 13th, 2009, 8:45 am

Steve,
     Try Black Falcon Custom Calls.  I think it can be found on the net by running the name together (blackfalconcustomcalls).  I got a field grade from him and really like it (it was $50. when I got mine in Feb or so).

Good Luck,
Jim

SCPossum

Postby SCPossum » May 13th, 2009, 3:48 pm

you crawl on your belly with a trumpet around your neck?

Oh yeah, man!  have been known to hang a couple of tubes around my neck also.  Anything legal for the bird.  [:D]

There have been some close calls with the noose tightening too much and just about strangling me!  That's where those few extra pounds come in handy...[;)] 

Almost forgot, Charlie Hudson makes a super trumpet.  He is from Traveler's Rest, SC and had a long history of making super calls.  They are not cheap, but they are quality.  He just started making a shorter trumpet in the past two years that is really nice.  You can find him in Mickel's first or second book.  I can't remember which..I think it was the first. 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » May 13th, 2009, 6:00 pm

why not try & call the bird to you instead of slitherin up on it ???

i'll stick with my l.f. cox trumpet....they'r the best out there...Image

Next

Return to Calling