Slate Call holder

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
MoJack

Slate Call holder

Postby MoJack » March 15th, 2011, 9:43 am

I like using a slate, but the hang up is that I have to put my gun down to use it.  I have seen the contraptions that attach to your gun, but I got the feeling looking at them that they wouldn't work.  I ordered one of these today (http://www.shopatron.com/products/produ ... .0.0?pp=8&)   at least with it I could keep one hand on the gun.  How do you fellows get around this?
Professional Turkey Scarer Awayer

Cut N Run

RE: Slate Call holder

Postby Cut N Run » March 15th, 2011, 11:42 am

I have one of those gun rests made by Hunter Specialties that fits on your knee and cradles the forearm of your shotgun. I can keep the gun butt against my shoulder and run any kind of call I want with both hands. The biggest issue I have with them is scattering the pot & striker if I need to jump up to go stand on a turkey's neck. I lost a good striker that way, but it's a small price to pay to be able to keep the gun up and your hands free.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » March 15th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I use the premo "freak" It comes either in glass or frictionite. It straps to your leg. Not the best but works for me. I would guess the diaphram is the answer but I can't use one.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 16th, 2011, 10:00 am

I used a Primos Freak for several years . It's a decent call . Mine sounded best with a carbon or wingbone striker . I added a leather strap to mine . The leather was looped onto my belt and the call would stay in the right place even when I was moving . A short leather string kept the lid attached to the pot .
 After I got my first WRC call I gave the Freak to a young feller I been helping get started .

Return to Calling