N.C. Closing Day Gobbler

Cut N Run

N.C. Closing Day Gobbler

Postby Cut N Run » May 11th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I hunted the back of the horse farm property today and managed to tag a gobbler I've been messing with (maybe he's been messing with me). He weighed 19 pounds 15 ounces, had matching 1 & 3 /16ths inch spurs, and a nub of a beard from beard rot. I'll submit the entire story tomorrow.

Jim
Attachments
5-11-13 Spurs..jpg
5-11-13 Spurs..jpg (96.17 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
5-11-13 Beard Rot.jpg
5-11-13 Beard Rot.jpg (153.42 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
5-11-13 Closing Day..jpg
5-11-13 Closing Day..jpg (282.65 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Re: N.C. Closing Day Gobbler

Postby dewey » May 11th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Congratulations on the gobbler Jim! Boy did you do a number on that old boys head. Nice to see you harvest a few gobblers this year after your tough last year.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 11th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Way to go Jim. Glad to see that lady luck is back on your side. Sorry to see that he had beard rot.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 12th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Man o man I love those spurs, very nice, congrats on a great bird, you really killed him til he was dead didn't you, whooee..... :shock:
David

You never know, unless you go

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 13th, 2013, 1:27 am

Thanks guys.

My hunt started in the 150 yard wide strip of woods between the back pasture and the neighbor's field. I've been trying to get this bird with my crossbow closer to the front of the farm, but he kept going up to the ridge, then vanishing, or sticking near the edge of the neighbor's field and keeping where I can't get a crack at him. I figured he was also crossing the ridge and going towards the swamp where I could no longer hear him from the west side of the ridge. I got set up about 60 yards below the crest of the ridge between two downed trees that fell in a severe storm we had a few years ago. At 5:50 A.M. I heard a gobble above the breeze from down near the abandoned house at the old home place NW of me. The wind was strong enough to rustle the leaves in the trees, but not on the ones on the ground. At 5:55 A.M. I heard two shotgun blasts right behind each other from that general direction and no more gobbling. It really made my heart sink. I decided that since it was closing day and I didn't have another bird roosted that I was just going to ride it out and maybe another turkey might happen by (yeah, right). The breeze got stronger and made hearing anything tricky. About 7 A.M. I felt nature's call and stood to relieve myself. Right then, I thought I heard a dog barking from up wind. I considered it more and remembered that there weren't any dogs living up that way. The breeze settled enough for me to hear an unmistakeable gobble from up near the old home place. Cool!

I cutt back hard on a long box and got no answer. The breeze was back up and maybe it carried the sound off. I waited until the wind settled again and leaned hard into the box call again. I got a gobble right back. Game On! I heard him gobble a few more times and they were sounding closer each time. He stopped up near the crest of the ridge, probably at a favored strut zone, and was expecting the hen to come to him. Because he was above me, to reduce movement, I switched over to a Tom Teaser's Teaser Pleaser diaphragm and yelped to him, which got an immediate answer. I let him stew and gobble a few times. Everything got quiet, but it stayed quiet for longer than it should have. My nerves were set like a trap, ready to spring. Minutes dragged without a sight or sound of him. Next thing, I heard him gobble down below me on his way towards the swamp about 75 yards past me. On top of that, some fool down near the swamp opened up with a lame sounding crow call, trying to get this bird to shock gobble, when he's already gobbling on his own. This was not working out like I hoped. I clucked and purred on the call and I saw his white head turn towards me. I scratched the leaves beside me and his body turned my way too. He blew up into strut, looking for the hen. I kept quiet and just scratched leaves, He started walking my way. Maybe this was going to happen after all. Now I could hear him spit & drum over the breeze. He was already in range, but being a left hand shot, I might spook him if I moved on him, downhill to my left. The woods were open between him and me and I had to hold tight until he passed behind the big oak just ahead of me. He stopped and did periscope up inside of 30 yards, looking for the hen. I reached down with my off side hand and scratched leaves, which made him strut, but now he was coming right at me. If he jumped up on the downed tree to my left, I'd have no chance to move, but if he went around the downed tree and passed behind the big oak, he would be mine. He was now less than 13 feet away, looking hard enough to make me quit breathing. I could see his eye blink as he turned to walk along the branches just on the other side of the downed tree from me. As he passed behind the big oak, I shifted my Benelli. He brought his head up as he cleared the oak tree and I rolled him at 11 yards with a load of 3" Hevi #6s. My watch said 7:28 A.M.. I did a big exhale and gave thanks for the experience and the fresh meat.

I love to turkey hunt, but I also hate to take out such a magnificent creature. He will not go to waste. I stopped the barn and showed him to the farm owner. I think she was more excited than me. He will be the guest of honor at a barn party in the next few weeks.

It was nice to use both tags this year. I hunted a fair amount this year, but only half as hard as last year when I got skunked. Thanks for the encouragement, brotherhood,stories, tips, & techniques shared here. I appreciate it. There's a lot of reasons I enjoy spending time on this board, the people here make it what it is.

Good luck to all those who still have some turkey season to enjoy. I've got to get busy catching on a long list of "honey dos" and finding a few new places to hunt next year.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 13th, 2013, 8:15 am

Nice story brother, the only way to close out the season, again, congrats on a fine bird.....
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 14th, 2013, 1:50 am

Congrats on your 2nd bird, Jim. Hope you have a great summer again. :D
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 14th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Very nice bird Jim.now that's what I call a jelly head.Great shot and great pic's.

Kevin

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 14th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Nice bird ! I had 2 birds come in last year and the aggressive bird was a jake I thought. Bird with the 6 or 7 inch beard was standing back while the short bearded bird was gobbling and confronting the decoy. Thought I may have seen some spurs but was not sure so let them walk. Wonder if he had beard rot ?
Clyde

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » May 15th, 2013, 11:07 am

Congrats! very nice bird and I'm sure a great hunt!

I didn't get out to hunt last week so I'll head out today and have till sat to get my bird.
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

Return to Team 5