Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

mark hay

Re: Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2013, 9:02 am

Someone needs to take Dana under their wing and train him how to kill a jake ,,,LOL,,,,seems alll he knows is how to fool ''OL' GOBBLERS ''. :D :D :D

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » April 27th, 2013, 6:56 am

any bird you can get with your kids tagging along is a good bird. congrats T.J.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2013, 8:43 am

I got a good looking 3 year old yesterday in Minnesota at about 10:35 a.m. I will post the story under the 'Minnesota' thread.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 5th, 2013, 9:36 am

Atta boy team mate, congrats
David

You never know, unless you go

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » May 5th, 2013, 9:59 am

good story Dewey and congrats on a nice bird. Will you be posting pictures with stats? Headed for southern Arizona to help a friend on a Gould's hunt on Wednesday then I finally can start hunting for myself on the 13th.

Here are pics of some of the Gould's we'll be hunting this Wednesday hoping to get the double bearded one. These birds are on my friends ranch and have never been hunted.

Here is the double beard.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 5th, 2013, 5:21 pm

That there is too cool, have a great hunt, those are beautiful birds, but aren't they all, love those fans, are you going to be hunting goulds when u go on the 13th?
David

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 6th, 2013, 10:06 am

Bird 2 down, all done in Ontario,

Hey Folks,

Was able to tag out after 4 hunts for both tags, both with my 8 year old. Figures he's the lucky charm and I can't go without him now. This was my first PM bird so that was kind of cool.

Set up where the farmer said he's seen them, staked out a hen deke around 3 on Saturday and waited. Nothing doing and we had to be out by 6 so things weren't looking real good. Was calling a few yelps every 20 minutes or so, but everything stayed real quiet. About 5:15 out pops a hen into the meadow and starts picking and feeding. I remind my son to stay still and watch, the best decoy is a live one.

So, I'm facing the way the hen came from, thinking if she had a friend tailing her, I'd introduce him to some number 5s. Well, if out the corner of my eye, from the opposite end of the field don't I see 2 Toms coming across the field toward our live decoy. Looking back I should have let them fool around and interact with her and watch what happened. Hard to do with an 8 year old whispering, shoot him in your ear whilst you try to control your breathing and heart rate for a shot. Last thing I want to do is blow a gimme shot with him witnessing. I let them move across the field and have my gun up after shifting once they were behind a tree at the fields edge. Pick the lead and make sure there's enough space so there's only one going down. And, pow, all tagged out In Ontario in 4 hunts and 10 days. Long wait till next year.

Weighed in at 22 lbs, tied for my biggest, 8 inch beard and 1 inch spurs, no monster, but my lad thought it was great,

One thing I noticed was that his tail seemed to not have as many feathers as it should have. Have done all my birds tails and they all made a nice fan, but this guy seemed to be lacking a few. No gaps in the tail, just not enough feathers. Anyone seen this before or why?

Anyway, a great bird and I'm done for another year.

TurkeyJohn

Here's the attachments
Attachments
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg (218.48 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Wes turkey.jpg
Wes turkey.jpg (205.08 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

dewey

Postby dewey » May 6th, 2013, 11:40 am

Congratulations on the gobbler TJ! That is pretty cool that you got to take your son along for both hunts and he saw all of the action.

Good luck with the Goulds next week. Those are some incredibly beautiful looking birds. I will post the stats on my bird later this week.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 6th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Congrats on a great season TJ....
David

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » May 6th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Congrats TJ thats a very nice bird a 22lbs 8" beard with one inch spurs is no where close to being a jake. The best part is now you have a hunting buddy for life.

PreviousNext

Return to Team 2