Michigan Morning Thunder !!

timbrhuntr

Michigan Morning Thunder !!

Postby timbrhuntr » May 6th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Today was the first day of my Michigan Spring Turkey Season Tag. I decided to head out to a buddies farm in southern Michigan and see if I could get on a bird. I arrived at 0530 and thought I might be a bit late as it was already getting light. As I approached the back field I heard a tom sound off just inside the woods. I slipped in found a nice tree and sat down. As I was sitting there 4 more toms sounded off around me. Man the thunder was really rolling this morning in the Michigan woods ! The first one was closest and man he seemed hot. Gobbling at everything from geese to storks. At about 0600 I let out a few soft tree calls and bang cut off. I waited until I figured he was down on the ground and then threw out a few kee kees and yelps, bang cut off again and he is coming my way. I sat back and waited. At about 0630 I saw the top of a full fan just over the ridge about 40 yards out in front of me. I clucked a few times and he slowly walked out into the open. He was going in and out of strut and spitting and drumming. Man what a pretty sight. Every time I see one of these birds in the wild I am amazed that such a beautiful bird is out there roaming our woods. At 15 yards I dropped the hammer and he went down hard. Yee !! Haw !! # 9 hits the dirt. He was maybe a 3 year old with just over 7/8" spurs , 8 3/4" beard and weighed just under 18 pounds. Just like that the Michigan season is done. :cry: Probably one if not the shortest hunt I have ever had.

Lucky Hat !!

Good luck to all that are still out there. I only have 2 tags left myself.

Return to Team 1