GOT MY MN LONGBEARD THIS YR BEEN AWHILE

turkey junky

GOT MY MN LONGBEARD THIS YR BEEN AWHILE

Postby turkey junky » April 27th, 2013, 1:46 pm

well boys the jinx is over i got my MN longbeard tom 4 the season & it was in MN thats my 1st MN turkey in at least 3-4 yrs ever since i gave my spot to my younger cousin i have not shot a MN turkey??? now this season no cousin hunting with me & what do you know i had a bird down by 8:30 a.m. my 1st day in the MN turkey woods!!!???

well it was not his fault i didnt get a turkey the last 3-4 yrs i just opened my big mouth & gave em a killer spot to hunt any way i never even maid it to the killer spot as i got out my van & went to a spot i got dicked the last 3 yrs & have kinda figured out through trail & err!!! more err then anything else!!!

any way i baught my MN license for a 3 day hunt as the weather was crap the prior day & a half we got down to SE MN turkey country around 5:30 wednesday we herd a few gobbles when we got out the van so my dad went his way to a loud mouth turkey & went set up on a small power line that runs down a steep bluff to a min mag road but it gets used for early drivers going to work any herd a bird gobble off the property but close so i set up & noticed i for got my water bottle & i never score off the roost so i ran back to get the water came back & the tom was on the ground already i reached for my mouth calls & they were gone they are my primary call i use & trust so i maid a dash back to van got back sweating & tired & the bird gobbled but farther away i maid a set of call & 2 min later i caught movement to my right i was a huge hen cluck n in my face the tom gobbled & she lifted her head & ran over to him & he was out of my life for good!!! typical MN for me!!! it got quit & i got cold sit n in the pine wind break i was set up in so i moved a few yards to sit in the sun herd a bunch of crows sound off & 2 birds gobble across the road so i just started mess n with them on a box call no responce!!! after about 45 min of quit i walked down a ways to wear the hen ran off to i leaned my gun on a black walnut tree & it sliped off & maid a thud beleave it or not a bird gobbled down the bluff but closer then the last birds had gobbled so i just walked about 45-60 yards closer to the bird & listened for a while with my box call ready to answer the bird with a yelp in mid gobble it took 10 min but he gobbled & i answered him not responce??? he then started gobbling on his own kinda but up on top of the bluff & even with wear i parked & how i walked in so i walked back through the pines to get even with him & kinda check his location & when he gobbled again i could tell wear he was & i had a shot to kill him i answered him with a box & no responce??? i then walked back over to my prior set up it was by my buddys deer stand & i new there was a deer trail that lead to wear that bird was gobbleing so i ran back there & set up left my vest on & put seat down & waited to hear him gobble again when he did from same area i answered on my mouth call & he double gobbled at me i yelped again & he double gobbled again i kee kee runned & he double gobbled again i then went quit & in no time he was at the bottom of my steep bluff gobbling i did not answer 5 min later his head came into view & he was 70-80 yrds out he went into strut drumed & then gobbled on his own i answered & he double gobbled in my face & shook me up big time!!! my arms were cold i was stiff man i had a rush!!! he then came in my direction then started to head up a rise & behind me i then seen a hen 20 yards behind the tom & i relaxed? i yelped again & the bird spun around & went into strut harder i was at 9:00 oclock & had to swing my gun to like 7:00-6:00 oclock to get a clean shot i did so thinking he will put his head up & bang well i leaned out & put gun butt to shoulder & i was hung up in my vest witch i never wear after i set up & will never wear again after im sit n by a tree any way i just could not push butt of my gun to the pit of my shoulder i had to roll out more & push gun out & back into my shoulder i did this all in 1 motion but i kinda freaked out when i could not get gun up clean but that bird was in love he just fanned up harder & when his head came away from the fan my heavi 7s eat him up bad well not bad but i swear to you guys that bird did not flop once after the shot that was 33-35 steps away he just fell forward & was dead... i got back to camp by 8:30 a.m. i rare feat for me in MN as of late!!!

he was a fat 2 yr old 21-23 pound a little over 3/4 spurs & a 8.5-9 inch thick beard my shortest in MN tom turkey wise they run 10-12 inches most the time & thick mine was just 8.3/4 - 9.0 inch but thick so he was healthy & had plenty of fat on breast spunge...

by the way my old man did not get a turkey on the MN trip but if you have been reading my last post about the OK & KS trip you can guess what happened to my dad his magic box call worked again & he called up a pair of longbeards & his luck has not changed & he rolled another tom that got back to his feet & ran off man my dad is pissed off about that i think 3 birds rolled this yr? he is just mad at himself still!!! for his B-DAY & or X-MASS the old man is get n a scope on his gun & a new turkey choke!!! for sure!!! & a few boxes of heavi shot!!! lol 3 damn birds rolled man i have to throw salt in the wound every once in awhile for 3 birds rolled in 1 yr!!! he still gets a rush every hunt thow & thats a good thing i just wish he missed clean or killed clean we hate wounding anything in the wild!!! hope his luck changes soon!!! hes ready for SD prairie unit as we speak i had to tell em give a it a WK let the birds act write... lol in MN after i shot my bird i think i herd 3 gobbles in 2 days of hunting & in them 60-70 degree days the birds did not gobble off the roost??? if i didnt get lucky it would be a typical MN season for me lots of birds around very little gobbling thus very little fun... MN is the least fun state i hunt in each season just hard headed hush mouthed birds very little fun... it may have to do with the late spring birds dont have to gobble if they have girls already once things warm up for a wk or 2 the birds will act write the boys that are not get n any action & are tired of watching the boss tom get action will be ready to gobble & go looking for some girls themselfs instead of just acting GAY & the boys/toms hang with boys/toms damn near all day!!! i had to kee kee run in all the turkeys ive seen die this season its like fall hunting turkeys for me so far this spring??? things have got to change here soon!!! i seen KS has turned for the better wish i had not gone for the KS opener dont think i will do that again???

i will say i kinda like to have the wings of the just shot turkey beat me up when i grab the bird by the feet for the 1st time but the last 2-3 birds i shot with heavi 7 shot did not flop after i shot them!!! the ranges were in MN the last bird 33-35 steps in KS this yr 14 steps & last yr 50 steps all them birds died the same way did not flop just fell forward & died no movement after shot??? time for more heavi 7 shot for me

ill have to have dewey help me post some pics of my MN long beard i got on wednesday & maybe a few pics of my OK & KS trip from early april... i may wait till i get back from out west im planing on going to SD & maybe KS if i have the time & $$$ as i still have a KS tag to burn my dad dose as well!! or i may just head to SD & hit WI on the way home??? my buddy is going to NE for a late late may turkey hunt so i may just throw him some gas $$$ & head to NE with him??? i will be hunting again this season thow you can bet you house on that... lol

sorry for the long winded post guys but i had to share my MN hunt as MN has kicked my ass the last 3-4 yrs man the pics will be up soon i hope...???
Last edited by turkey junky on June 6th, 2013, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ticklishtompro

Re: GOT MY MN LONGBEARD THIS YR BEEN AWHILE

Postby ticklishtompro » April 27th, 2013, 1:47 pm

Congrats man, makes you feel real good after they get you a couple years in a row!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

dewey

Postby dewey » April 27th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Congratulations on the MN gobbler TJ! Whenever you are ready for me to post some pictures for you just shoot me an email. I also wish I would have been in Kansas a few days later than I was but nothing I can do about it now. My buddy is hunting there right now since he lives so close, I am freaking jealous. Good luck in SD and any other hunts you pick up along the way.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » April 29th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Here are two pictures of Turkey Junky and his MN gobbler.

Dewey
Attachments
TJ's MN #1 1 of 2.jpg
TJ's MN #1 1 of 2.jpg (160.48 KiB) Viewed 443 times
TJ's MN #1 2 of 2.jpg
TJ's MN #1 2 of 2.jpg (149.92 KiB) Viewed 443 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2013, 1:43 am

Good job TJ. Glad to see you beat your jinx.
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Team 1