Striker grip on pot call?

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
Treerooster

Striker grip on pot call?

Postby Treerooster » March 29th, 2012, 4:06 pm

When I first started I just gripped my striker like a pencil. Then I saw a video by Bill Zearing from Cody Calls. He said to grip the striker so it rests on the 2nd knuckle of the index finger and the 1st knucle of the middle finger with the thumb pressing down in between the 2 knuckles. When yelping leave the tip of the index finger off the striker and when clucking & purring have the index finger tip on the striker.

This is now how I grip my strikers. I have since seen/heard others teach different methods to hold the striker, Sadler Mgraw comes to mind.

My question is; Am I using good method to hold my striker or should I try a different method. I am now so used to gripping my striker this way, it would take some doing to change.

Also, when I do a lot of purring or clucking (like fighting purrs for instance) I move my grip on the striker up just a little. Like maybe a 1/8 or 1/4 inch. Is this wrong to do? I think I get more purr out of the call when I do that.

Thanks- Gary
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

xcal1ber

Re: Striker grip on pot call?

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2012, 12:29 pm

Gary, I am by no means a celebrity or an expert caller, but from the looks of your success, my advice is to not change a thing. If it isn't broke then don't fix it.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

scott ellis1974

Re: Striker grip on pot call?

Postby scott ellis1974 » April 8th, 2012, 7:00 am

There is no right or wrong way to hold a striker and probably about 40 different methods to hold it. I would use what works best for you and obtains quality sound. If your happy with the sound your getting and you have good control then roll with it. But, I would not discount varying positions and holds. It will definitely change the sound of the call.

SE

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities