Chat With Calling Champ Scott Ellis!

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
Treerooster

Re: Chat With Calling Champ Scott Ellis!

Postby Treerooster » February 26th, 2014, 3:52 pm

And in a related question to Brian's

I never separate my reeds, I just let the call dry out (in my call pouch) nd then when I go to hunt I stick it in my cheek and in about 5 minutes the call is good to go. Is there something wrong with doing it that way?

I also hunt with the call tucked in my cheek the whole time. I have heard this is bad for the call. Is that true?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 26th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Scott, when you are going to do another turkey song? :D Im not to fond of using mouth calls due to the vibration on my tongue and it hitting that gag reflex. Any suggestions on how to ease or remedy that problem?
Is it turkey season yet?

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Which is the best woodhaven turkey call.Thanks Randy

scott ellis1974

Postby scott ellis1974 » February 27th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Brian,

I'll make a call, then run it for 15-20 minutes until fully saturated. I then put a toothpick between the top and 2nd reed. I let it completely dry and repeat this process everyday for about a week. After this, I then start snipping and trimming on the latex to tune, if needed.

Scott

scott ellis1974

Postby scott ellis1974 » February 27th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Treerooster,

I have a hard time believing that your top reed becomes unstuck just after putting it in your check for 5 minutes. Without that top reed completely unstuck your not going to attain the best sound the call can produce. I highly discourage keeping the call in your cheek for any extended period of time. This causes your reeds to become saturated with saliva, thus the latex looses its tone.

Kygobbler,

No turkey song on the horizon at this time....but you never know what the future can hold. As for a mouth tickling your tongue, it's probably because you have it too far forward in your mouth. This is directly connected to your high gag reflex. There's really not much you can do for that, just the way mother nature designed you. :) I would try a tube call though, great tone and very versatile call.

Rbewilson,

Best Woodhaven calls? Box-Real Hen, Pot-Carbon or Vision Crystal, mouth call-Scott Ellis signature(close second, is the yellow venom, red reactor and Doug Crabtree Signature)

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » February 28th, 2014, 8:25 am

Scott,
While I didn't have any direct questions for you, I appreciated your responces to the gangs questions on gobbler habits, for the different species. I've felt and seen this over the years also, in the different regions of the U.S..
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » March 3rd, 2014, 11:50 am

Hey Scott: Thanks so much for taking time to answer questions and dispense advice. Great topics, great responses. Everyone, make sure to check out Scott's website at http://www.scottellis-eliteturkeyhuntingandcalling.com.

Previous

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities