Talk Turkey With Steve Hickoff

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
Steve_Hickoff

Re: Talk Turkey With Steve Hickoff

Postby Steve_Hickoff » May 14th, 2012, 8:38 am

Steve_Hickoff wrote:
palongbeard12 wrote:Hey Steve, I am an avid turkey hunter and have always been interested in writing. I was wondering if you had any tips on getting started in the outdoor writing industry. Thanks for all the great turkey articles.

Hey palongbeard12. Thanks for the kind words and your note. As to your question, start small at first, writing for local and regional markets. The pay may not be good, if anything at all, but the experience is important toward you potentially writing for bigger (better paying) markets. Try to read everything you can in the print magazines and online to understand the best (and worst) of what's out there. Be honest about your own ability as a writer and work hard to improve. Hunt (and fish?) as hard as you write. Diversify. It's important these multi-media days to not only write well, but also edit, shoot photos, make videos, author books and even provide web content directly to sites. Get your education too. Many of my colleagues in the business, including myself, have degrees in journalism and writing. It's important to know the craft and also enjoy it as well. Hope this helps. Best of luck. --Steve Hickoff

P.S. Thanks again for checking in everybody. It's been fun. Have a great rest of the spring turkey season if you're still hunting (we are up north). C'mon fall turkeys . . . --Steve Hickoff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 17th, 2012, 11:14 am

Hey buddy sorry I missed you here, been out filling all those extra WI tags. Now that you've gotten me into fall turkey hunting and turkey dogging I find myself wistfully dreaming of fall colors and my electrified dog pressed against me-- when I'm suddenly jolted back to a spring gobbler is approaching...
You know it is never too early to start obsessing over the next season.
Have a good end of season hunt in Maine I'll catch up with you later.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Steve_Hickoff

Postby Steve_Hickoff » May 23rd, 2012, 1:34 pm

charlie elk wrote:Hey buddy sorry I missed you here, been out filling all those extra WI tags. Now that you've gotten me into fall turkey hunting and turkey dogging I find myself wistfully dreaming of fall colors and my electrified dog pressed against me-- when I'm suddenly jolted back to a spring gobbler is approaching...
You know it is never too early to start obsessing over the next season.
Have a good end of season hunt in Maine I'll catch up with you later.

Thanks, charlie. Keep in touch, friend. --Steve

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 7th, 2012, 6:35 am

Bring on the Fall........Image
Break em at Night...Back at light

Previous

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities