SCOUTING WITH A CAMERA?

Post photos from your trail cams.
TURKEYBOSS

SCOUTING WITH A CAMERA?

Postby TURKEYBOSS » February 25th, 2011, 8:53 am

DOES ANYONE ELSE SCOUT TURKEYS IN THE LATE WINTER TO THE SPRING WITH THERE SCOUTING CAMERA LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE USE THEM TO HUNT DEER?

I REALLY ONLY DO IT ON ONE FARM THAT I HUNT ONLY BECAUSE THE OTHER FARMS HAVE ROAD ACCESS (MEANING I CAN SCOUT THEM FROM THE ROAD USING A SPOTING SCOPE OR MY BINOS) THE ONE EXCEPTION IS A FARM THAT THERE IS NO WAY TO GET CLOSE TO SCOUT IT WITHOUT STICKING OUT REALLY BAD. SO IT HAS BECOME A LONG WALK WELL AFTER DARK TO PUT THE CAMERA OUT ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE AND THEN TO GET IT AGAIN A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE MY SEASON. MAINLY REALLY ONLY USING THE CAMERAS TO INVENTORY THE BIRDS ON THE FARM AND TO SEE IF THEY ARE STAYING IN THE AREA, CAUSE AS ANY HUNTER KNOWS ONCE THAT TOM GETS THOSE HENS ON HIS MIND LIKE A BIG BUCK IN THE RUT HE WILL DO STRANGE THINGS!

dustinwise

RE: SCOUTING WITH A CAMERA?

Postby dustinwise » February 26th, 2011, 5:40 am

Yes, I have my trail cameras out right now and have had them out for about a month.  Not only for scouting purposes but more as a second hobby as well.  You will be surpised what you capture on a trail camera at the places you turkey hunt.  I have gotten pictures of a bobcat, porcupine, a fellow hunter (scouting), and hundreds of pictures of the bird that we all love to hunt.  They are on private land and so I am not really concerned about one coming up missing as sometimes I even have a hard time relocating them after a couple of weeks.  I would recommend putting them out just out of pure enjoyment.  I would also recommend getting 2 SD cards for each camera, that way you can just swap out the cards when you go to check your camera.  I think that you will really enjoy the pictures that you get.  Turkeys being turkeys though there is no telling if they will be within the vicinity of your trail cam come opening morning.  Good luck.

After reading retranger's post I have another tip.  If your camera does not have a viewer on it you can take a digital camera with you if it has the SD slot and view your pictures that way; or even a laptop if you want to pack it in.

dustinwise

Postby dustinwise » February 26th, 2011, 5:51 am

Trying to figure out how to upload you some pictures

retranger

Postby retranger » February 26th, 2011, 5:55 am

Yes I do use mine for turkeys as well as for deer. Like dustinwise said you never know what you will get for pictures. I also use the two SD card technique even though I have a small viewer on my cameras.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dustinwise

Postby dustinwise » February 26th, 2011, 5:57 am

retranger

Postby retranger » February 26th, 2011, 7:34 am

Those are good pics Dustin. Do you have the bushnell throphy XLT? Have you tried any videos with it. I have my 2nd XLT and like it alot. Unfortunely someone else thought my first one was neat also.[:(]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

dustinwise

Postby dustinwise » February 26th, 2011, 7:58 am

I have 4 of the XLT camera's and 2 of the Bone Collector cameras.  I have had my share of software issues with the Bushnells but they have done everything in their power to get me working cameras.  They were all 2010 models which if you have read the reviews they have many software problems.  I finally have cameras that work very nice now and am happy with them but had to jump through a bunch of hurdles to get them that way.  I went with Bushnell because they carry a 2 year warranty.  If you get the Bushnells that don't have the software problems you will love them, if you don't, it can be very frustrating to say the least.  I have not tried the video with it yet because I read that they can spook the deer.  I mainly purchased more of these because the picture quality was very good.

retranger

Postby retranger » February 26th, 2011, 8:24 am

I have read the reports about the software problems. I am not sure what camera year I have. The one I had last year took good pictures but I had to keep the sensativity on low. I just purchased another from Cabelas and I think it is a 2010 model but I have found numbering on the box with reference to 2009. I have tried it outdoors in my yard and so far it is taking great pics.Won't be able to get it to turkey country for a while yet, still too much snow.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » February 28th, 2011, 1:23 pm

I like to put my camera in known strut zones, I think the cameras are a great tool for turkey hunting.

Next

Return to Trail Cam Photos