Glass

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
flturkeyhunter

Glass

Postby flturkeyhunter » March 27th, 2011, 4:09 pm

I'm about to start making my own turkey calls and wanted to know on a glass friction call how do they get that certain little area sanded or whatever it's called (i don't really know what that little area is called.) All information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Parker

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Glass

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 27th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Some use sandpaper, some use a conditioning stone and most use an acid to burn the glass.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 27th, 2011, 4:41 pm

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

Some use sandpaper, some use a conditioning stone and most use an acid to burn the glass.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

flturkeyhunter

Postby flturkeyhunter » March 28th, 2011, 6:17 am

So sandpaper will work?

flturkeyhunter

Postby flturkeyhunter » March 28th, 2011, 6:20 am

Another rookie question how do people get the neat colorful logos,pictures ect? onto the glass?

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 28th, 2011, 12:22 pm

You can do it several different ways.The easiest way is to print the picture or graphic on photopaper then spray laquer on it for waterproofing and sheen,Then take paste or roll on glue and coat the sound board to glue it for sound board graphics.Just cut the pic to size.Another way is accually putting the picture on the bottom of the playing surface,Do the same thing to the picture as far as laquar then put the paste on the underside of the playing surface.Press the pic onit and make shure you take something to get all the air bubbles and paste smear from under the pic.Its important to take time to clear all air and paste bubbles out.You can also buy graphic vynal paper for inkjet or laser printers.They make waterproof vynal that is printable and just sticks on the soundboard like a sticker.

To your other question..Sandpaper will work.I double grit but some don't.I use 220g to start and finish with 80g you dont have to do that though.Its a cosmetic complication OCD[8|]
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 28th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Certain sandpapers work better than others, I use Norton Dry Wall sandpaper for all my glass calls, it holds up much better then regular sandpaper does and it cuts the glass a lot easier. It's a silicon carbide sandpaper that works dry or wet. Primo's slick stix wroks very well on glass calls but they do ware out if you have a lot to do. The carbide screens work good and so do diamond sharpening stones, but the sandpaper is the cheapest and works just as well.

There are a few companies that produce soundboard stickers but you limited to certain sizes, A lot of guys print a pic, glue it on then cut it to size as SpitnDrum said above.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers