My First Call

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
kenturkey89

My First Call

Postby kenturkey89 » April 1st, 2011, 3:42 am

Well fellas, I've finally finished my first pot call. It's a slate over glass in a walnut pot with a matching one piece striker that I turned last weekend. It has a tru-oil finish on it that's still a little tacky right now, but I couldn't wait any longer to post the pics. The call is nowhere near perfect looking. If you look closely you'll be able to see some small flaws and defects that are from both the wood and my limited skills on a wood lathe. It sounds really nice with great clucks and purrs and plays well either loud or soft. It has that high pitch in a call that I like with nice roll-over. The only thing is I wish it had just a little bit more rasp than it does. I've only played it with my walnut striker though and I plan on using my other strikers to see the different sounds and effects they produce. I have another call that I turned last night that is beautiful. I really took my time with that call and I hope to have pics of it either tonight or tomorrow after I finish gluing it up.
I just want to say thanks to all the call makers out there who have helped me out. I've pestered a lot of people on here with questions and they've all been more than helpful. I just want to thank WillowRidge, Stoner, firelt, Kawboy888, spitndrum and many of the others that have answered questions and helped me out! Enjoy that pics!

Brian

kygobbler

RE: My First Call

Postby kygobbler » April 1st, 2011, 4:02 am

Nice job Brian not too bad for your first call. Hopefully you can call up a gobbler with it in a couple of weeks.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 1st, 2011, 7:11 am

Awesome Mr. Osbourne! Welcome to the custom call makers club!! I can't wait for you to kill a bird with that and post some proud pics of it!!
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 1st, 2011, 12:54 pm

Good looking call hope you get a nice bird with it.

Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 1st, 2011, 2:16 pm

Good looking call Brian, she'll come to life once the tru-oil dries up and with a few different strikers run on it. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » April 1st, 2011, 8:54 pm

Thats an awesome call Brian.I like the character you put around the center hole!Plum great call man....
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Return to Call Makers