Getting wingbones pearly white

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
kygobbler

Getting wingbones pearly white

Postby kygobbler » April 6th, 2011, 3:00 am

I've made a few wingbone calls and I can't figure out how to make them pearly white. This is what I usually do and maybe someone can give me additional advice. After cleaning them out I will boil them in some water, hydrogen peroxide, and a little bit of dish washing soap. The bones I have done before have been from hens and look pretty good for my standards and proably have a great finish if i polished them. Right now I'm using a 3 yr old gobbler bones and cant them white at all.This time after I boiled them I soaked them in peroxide overnight and still that didn't help. A friend of mine's daughter killed this gobbler and Im wanting the bones to look really nice. If anyone has some helpfull ideas thanks. Also, I thought about bleech but I read somewhere that it would weaken the bones and haven't tried it. Thanks for any advice.
Is it turkey season yet?

kygobbler

RE: Getting wingbones pearly white

Postby kygobbler » April 11th, 2011, 5:07 am

Well, I got them pearly white by boiling them at 200 degrees for a little longer than an hour with a little dish washing soap. Any time there wasn't any bubbles from the soap I would add a little more. When I got done with that step I put them in quart jar filled with hydrogen peroxide and left it out in the sun for 4 days, all 4 days were very sunny and warm. Now all I got to do is put them together, polish them and figure out what is the best way to get a good finish on them.
Is it turkey season yet?

retranger

Postby retranger » April 11th, 2011, 9:37 am

I have always left mine the cream color, but was going to try the bleach that they use to do the European deer skull mount with. I was told that it is almost impossible to get them white other wise. Maybe Spitndrum will see the post and have a comment if not send him a pm. Post a pic when you finish it!!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » April 11th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Wasnt there a guy looking for tom wings in trade he would make you a wishbone call???? im looking for that guy so i can trade him some rio wings and as many wings as he needs for a couple of wishbone calls i have a unlimited supply of tom wings ......

scott
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 11th, 2011, 2:33 pm

I would like to see pics when you finish[;)]
Brian

Return to Call Makers