Headed to Tennessee

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Fargohunt

Headed to Tennessee

Postby Fargohunt » July 12th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I have only built one call with Douglas Fir, but I have reached a conclusion that about darn near everyone will turn out great sound. As many of you may know the grain is almost always super straight and tight--a perfect combo for box calls. This one I matched up with a nice cherry lid and base and added some purpleheart spacers for a sharp accent and doug fir inlays in the lid. The old hen carries a clear and sweeter, but distinct 3 tone yelp and the young hen rail produces a more traditional and raspier yelp. One thing I discovered with this call is its ability to purr real easy and churp out some of the nicest tree and feeding sounds ever--the friction of the doug fir seems to help this very well. This is not a call for a windy day, but I suspect it will break the hearts of some gobblers once the hunter has located them. Thanks for looking everyone.

kenturkey89

RE: Headed to Tennessee

Postby kenturkey89 » July 12th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Beautiful box there, Mr. Witter!!
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 12th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Good looking caller Scott. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 13th, 2011, 3:50 am

That is one outrageously fine looking box call, how could a hunter take that to the woods?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » July 13th, 2011, 5:39 am

Beautiful call!  New owner should be happy with it!

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » July 13th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Beautiful call Fargo! I have always had the problem of working a close turkey on in with a box call because most that i have owned is loud if you want to acheive the sound its supposed to make, which isnt a bad thing because thats how most of them are and they make one great windy day call and locator call. IMO it would be awesome to be able to work a box call without trying to play it soft and it still make the awesome sounds of a box call.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » July 14th, 2011, 8:07 am

Very nice Scott!! I like the multitude of sounds you described [;)]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » July 15th, 2011, 4:35 am

Dana,

I know what you mean, but as I was telling a couple new customers yesterday, all my calls are built to hunt first...and not until I have the sound I want do I begin even considering wood burning. The burning has all come about solely because I like to draw and I thought it would offer hunters a litle something special to their call. As I had hoped it has grown to a point where most customers have a good idea what they would like to make THEIR call truly custom. It's a lot of fun.

xcal1ber, Buckeye, As a designer, wood worker and call maker, I get a lot of enjoyment from the discovery process and in experimentation with different woods. By slightly altering physical characteristics...in this case by not fighting the nature of the wood, but rather do what I could to enhance its inherent tonal qualitites. I knew early on that this was not going to be a loud call so I figured there were other options to make it shine. I guess in a way this box could be similar to a purr pot--slightly specialized to give the hunter more options.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Return to Call Makers