Cherry S/G and a question

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
kenturkey89

Cherry S/G and a question

Postby kenturkey89 » April 18th, 2011, 6:01 am

Here is a cherry pot with slate over glass that I finished up for a buddy last week. It turned and finished very nicely and I'm pleased with how it turned out. I have one question for you call makers or wood enthusiasts, though, what is the marking that covers the top right two sound holes in the pot? Is it just character in the wood? Could it be due to moisture in the wood? The wood has been air dried for 5+ years in a barn loft but we do live in a humid environment. I have not seen markings like this in any other cherry calls that I have seen so I'm curious as to why this wood has markings like this. Thanks for looking!

Brian

Steve_In

RE: Cherry S/G and a question

Postby Steve_In » April 18th, 2011, 10:56 am

Looks like a small spot of sap or heary wood to me. Had you gone in another 1/16 it looks like it would disappear. Is the dark streak a crack or bark inclusion? Very nice looking call. My experience with cherry from a rifle I built is that it is unforgiving and will chip real easy.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 18th, 2011, 11:08 am

I did have the cherry chip a little on me on a previous pot but that was due to dull tools. After I sharpened them it turned beautifully and I really enjoyed working with it. If it is sap or heartwood, do you think it will have a greater chance of warping or having some similar problem in the future?
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 18th, 2011, 11:41 am

To me Brian that looks like what they call Gummy Cherry, I've got some of that wood and it will have dark lines and change color like that. Sometimes the grain is bright red, it dosen't effect the wood quality or the sound it produces, but it does give the call a little character. The Gummy Cherry seems to be a bit softer than regular cherry, and cuts very easy and sometimes splinters a bit.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 18th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Scott, that has to be what it is then because this wood is super easy to turn, much more so than the walnut I used to turn my first few pots with. I have made a few other pots that don't have surfaces in them yet but one of them has the characteristics you described with more of the dark lines than what typical cherry would have. I also had trouble with a pedestal splintering on me now that I think about it. I've never heard of 'Gummy Cherry' but I'm a big fan of calls that are "different" or have added character in them! Thanks for the info!
Brian

Return to Call Makers