Box call tone

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
BluMtnGobbler

Box call tone

Postby BluMtnGobbler » April 19th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I've been tinkering around with making boxcalls. Did a fewglued and now I'm making hewnout ones, my question is howdo you get a deeper tone ? Mineseem to be high pitched is it wood? thickness? any tips would greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Brian

Fargohunt

RE: Box call tone

Postby Fargohunt » April 19th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Brian--yep!

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » April 19th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Okay, so seriously, it is the type of wood used, the thickness, where it is thick, where it is thin, how and where you tune it, how long the chamber opening is, the radius on the lid will influence it, how deep you have cleared the ends to let out the air, how tall the sound rails are, how much freedom you have given the lid to move freely to angle it when striking...should I go on?[:D]

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 19th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Hahaha talk about taking the long way to answer a question.[:D] Good luck with the call Brian.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 20th, 2011, 4:00 am

Fargo covered it very well, I'd like to add the grain of the wood to it. You want the grain in the box horizontal and the grain in your lid vertical. Even though the grain in the lid runs the length of the paddle it also has a direction of growth in it, as well as the box does also.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » April 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Thanks guys, just when I thought I was getting this box call making. I'll keep trying. Right now I'm working on a poplar box with a cherry lid.
Brian

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 20th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Hello Brian. To tune the call that you are specifically talking about... in terms that you will understand you have two easy options. First, sand by hand the inside and upper areas of the rails to make them thinner. Sand for a couple of minutes, then play both sides, then sand, then play it, repeat.... Or, change the profile of the rails. The profile being that gentle curve. Change it a bit to make the call play farther away from the screw. By playing I mean, look at where the paddle contacts the rails, move that point a bit farther away from the screw by changing the profile "curve" of the rails. 
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » April 21st, 2011, 2:32 pm

Rich, thanks for the info I appreciate it. I will keep trying, eventually I will get it.
Brian

Return to Call Makers