scratch boxes

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
1Morgan

scratch boxes

Postby 1Morgan » January 8th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I bought a scratch box on ebay a couple years ago for $6. It is my favorite call, I can do anything with it. I can't tell what kind of wood it is or anything. I love that they just slide into a pocket and are so easy to use. I would like to see what you guys make, sooo... let's see what ya got!!!
South Carolina Low Country

Duke0002

Re: scratch boxes

Postby Duke0002 » January 8th, 2012, 11:34 pm

I picked up a couple from Mississippi Scratch Box Turkey Calls this summer. I really like them. Practiced quite a bit with them before the fall season. Took only the scratchies with me opening weekend this fall and had a bird in 1.5 hours. You can bet they'll be with me this spring!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 9th, 2012, 11:00 pm

In my opinion the scratchers are the most overlooked calls out there. They take some practice but they also take a lot of birds and not much room in the vest. Try them late in the spring season after the birds have heard it all they are deadly.

Jon
Turkeybuster

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 10th, 2012, 3:25 am

I received one from Dixie Belle for the x-mas exchange and man do I love it. Its the first time I ever used one and I do know that it will be with me come this spring.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 10th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Thanks for the good words kygobbler.
If some of you guys have never used one you should try them. I don't say this because I build them, you can get them from lots of sources, but, because like Turkeybuster said they are overlooked. They are like little pocket-sized secret weapons that will make any turkey sound you might need. If your birds have never heard one in their patch of woods, it might make the difference, and boy are they sweet for that in close love talk so old mossy spurs thinks a new "hootchy mama" is in town.
Whooo Hooo, March is gettin' closer!!! :D :D :D
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

bbcustomboxcalls

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » January 10th, 2012, 6:42 pm

I agree with everything dixie belle said. I started making these a few weeks ago and I really like them.
So far I've only used Eastern red cedar but these babies will sing. I'm sure going to try one out this Spring!

Bill

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » January 10th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Use different thickness of strikers for different pitches. Thicker one for lower notes, thinner for higher notes. Experiment!

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 10th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Right you are Duke0002. Not only that, but strikers of different woods will give different pitch tones as well. Also using different woods and thicknesses for the resonator plates will vary the pitch. The combinations that you can come up with make them just that much more versatile. They, like all calls, are really fun to experiment with to try and get different variations of tone.
Ain't turkey huntin' fun? ;)
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Return to Call Makers