What finish do you use

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
TeocTom

What finish do you use

Postby TeocTom » October 17th, 2011, 8:10 am

I am getting started making my own calls and was wondering what is the best thing to use to finish a call.
Do you use oil based poly, or is there something better. I live in MS where the humidity is unreal and would like to know what to use to protect my call from moisture.

Thanks for any input.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

CMBOSTC

Re: What finish do you use

Postby CMBOSTC » October 17th, 2011, 5:02 pm

I use Tung and Danish oils on most of my calls.

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » October 18th, 2011, 10:32 am

Thanks for the info. By looking at your pics of your calls i think i will take your advice.
Nice job.
I also would like to know what type of glue/adhesive that you would recommend for attaching a glass top to a wood pot.
I have used epoxy, which is clear. Is this a good choice?
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

CMBOSTC

Postby CMBOSTC » October 18th, 2011, 9:40 pm

I don't use glass.... I use slate only. Others may cringe, but I use gorilla glue. It works great for me.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 19th, 2011, 11:51 am

I use Fix-It Outdoors glue. It comes in a tube that you can lay a nice clean bead of glue, it goes on white, but dries clear. I use it on all sufaces and it holds great. On all soundboards I use Household Goop, that combo gives me the best sounding calls. Goop will also work for all surfaces, but it's a pain to clean up.
For finishes I mostly use Deft spray on poly, it's dry enough to sand in about 15 min.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » October 19th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Like C.M. I stick mainly with slate. I use a good quality two part epoxy and it seems to hold the slate well and doesn't create any deadness ( I use a toothpick to lay it on in a thin bead). When I use it for a glass soundboard I distress the glass at the glue point and so far I haven't had one turn loose (knock wood). I am used to using lacquer at the pipe organ building business where I work part time, so I use it on my calls. If you use lacquer be sparing and build it up in thin coats ( if you try to spray it too thick it will run like crazy). Use 0000 steel wool to buff between coats and use a tack cloth (available from your home store) to clean up residue before the next coat. On pot calls I apply a coat of paste wax after the finish cures. Every Builder has his favorites, some of the old school guys even have secret formulas. No matter what glue or finish you decide to use be real careful not to get any oils, waxes or finish on your friction surfaces. Hope you have good luck and a good time making your calls.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » October 20th, 2011, 9:21 pm

I built a call with zebra wood which had a glass over slate top and sound board. I used the two part epoxy but had the glass turn loose in spot. Call is dead as a door nail. The wood grain on the call looked awesome and until the surface turned loose it sounded really good. I don't think i applied enough in that one area.
Do you think there is any way to salvage the call?
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » October 20th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Without having the call in hand it would be hard to say if the surface can be removed without creating more problems than you want to deal with. When epoxy sets it is pretty much tamper resistant without using some sort of mechanical solution like grinding or cutting. Sometimes it is best to just chalk up a learning experience and try again.I have chalked up my share. Maybe some of the other guys might have some better solution than me.Sorry.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

CMBOSTC

Postby CMBOSTC » October 23rd, 2011, 8:24 pm

In my opinion Ted is right. The only way is to re-surface the call. Inevitably you will cut some of the caller down so be careful not to take too much off. I also, agree that it maybe better to start over from scratch. I wish I had a dollar for each time that I have. Unfortunately I've ruined some of the most beautiful wood that I've ever seen. Welcome to call making!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 24th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Epoxy is not a good glue to use, it holds great as long as it doesn't have to do anything but hold. With a playing surface, you need a glue that has some flexability, because it can't hold the surface real tight or it won't play too good. Epoxy dries hard and doesn't allow the surface to vibrate and will eventually come loose because of the vibration. Goop is a rubber based glue and it doesn't dry hard so the surface can vibrate without coming loose. If your using epoxy and you don't get enough on it will come loose very quickly as soon as you start to play the call. That is why I only use Goop for glueing down the soundboards becauuse they have to vibrate in order for the call to sound right.
There isn't much you can do with a call that is epoxyed, other than chalking it up to a learning experience.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Call Makers