Dale Rohm

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
callturkey

RE: Dale Rohm

Postby callturkey » April 1st, 2011, 2:11 pm

Fan Club, I know he has made me some customs - I lived in Perry County most of my life - and in fact lived on Dales old farm which I rented from the Amish. If you have known Dale for any amount of years you would know that he has been in the call making business for some time - I would say he has put his time in and at his age any help he gets I'm sure would help. I just know I picked up alot from him and now I have the bug - my vacations anymore are the month of May.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2011, 3:43 am

ORIGINAL: Kawboy888

When a custom call maker has anyone or any machine assist him in making a single call he is no longer a custom call maker. There are literally thousands of call makers that are commissioned by the NWTF to make donation calls. I'm not sure why you think he was commissioned to make calls for the entire state, he was most likely offered a life time membership to the NWTF to make $5,000.00 worth of calls for one specific NWTF chapter.

I didn't say he made calls for the entire state, I was trying to give some scope to and illustrate the size of the project. For a number of years in the early 2000s, Dale's box design and artwork were selected by the NWTF to be reproduced as Sponsor gifts. Each Chapter selects and orders the gifts from a catalog that they want to present to their Sponsor members. Without knowing how many NWTF Chapters there were in 2001, or how many sponsor members each chapter had, or how many chapters selected the box as their gift, there is no way to determine how many were made.

The Dale Rohm box I had was a 2001 Sponsor gift, presentation grade walnut, laser engraved and polyurethaned with a satin finsih. It also included a green Felt pouch emblazoned with the NWTF logo in gold metal flake. It was understood by everyone that it was not reproduced to be a field grade call to call turkeys with. It even had polyurethane on the rail tops and the underside of the lid. That's how obvious it was that in was intended for decoration only. I'm sure that Dale was rightfully proud to have his design selected by the NWTF. I'm also sure that Dale understood that the reproduction calls were not for calling turkeys with. 

If someone wants to strip Dale of his "Custom" call maker status and call him a sell out, I guess that's their business. It appears there are a few that are not going to get past this Amish thing no matter how much explaining there is. I see a man that elevated his craft to the point where he is nationally known and his design was selected by a national organization for reproduction. Using the Picasso reference, is Terry Redlin any less an artist because his paintings are reproduced and auctioned off at NWTF banquets? Absolutely not. Was Dick Kirby any less a talented call maker because his calls were reproduced, he made it big and went national? No. All of these gentlemen grew in popularity and are more widely known because of it.

I hold a degree in Graphic Art so I understand the artist's passion, believe me. Because I am not a custom call maker, I'm going to bow out of this conversation now before it sours further. I wish each of you great success in your call making ventures and the best of luck in the upcoming spring season.

Jeff

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 2nd, 2011, 4:50 pm

Dale Rohm is no where's near in the same boat as the late Dick Kirby. The only thing I would think that they had in common was mass production. Both of these gentlemen may have been some of the best custom call makers of all time, that is up to each individuals opinion. However, once they stopped making their calls one at a time, by hand, they did "sell out". When you craft something and sign your name on it, you are saying that you made this. If you want to focus on the signing of the name being on the design, versus the item itself, that will be a tough sell to us custom call makers.

I'm not disputing the type of man that Dale Rohm is, but when you sign your name on a call that other people make, you're no longer a custom call maker. Get a call that he made himself and cherish it. From a hunter, call maker and call collector's point of view, the Amish made calls are not of any custom call making value what so ever. Unless of course the Amish folks that make them sign them.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » April 2nd, 2011, 6:52 pm

Didn't mean to go causing any trouble. Maybe I should explain why I was angry. I won dale's call on silent auction again nwtf event. I didn't know anything about him but liked the call. This was years before I started making my own calls and understood what went into making one. I was a little suspicious when I saw how many calls he was making that year. Then I heard that he didn't actually make the call. I felt a little cheated by the nwtf for advertising a production call as 'custom'. I don't know dale, and my original post was not intended to bash him.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 3rd, 2011, 5:32 pm

No one is intending to bash him. I don't know him but as i said in my first post, I'm sure he's a peach of a guy. My point was not about the man at all, but about his actions. Don't claim to make something that you didn't make. If you are a call maker that wants to go into cheap mass produced calls, put a business name on them, not your own signature. I agree with you and my entire issue is when a custom call maker goes into mass production. Most of us call makers start making calls because we are not happy with the mass produced calls. The NWTF seems to care more about money than anything else. This was especially true prior to the shake up two years ago when everyone was fired. I have never competed and probably never will in any of their competitions for this very reason.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

SMECalls@aol.com

Postby SMECalls@aol.com » July 2nd, 2011, 2:39 am

I'm coming into this debate a litte late. But I know the Rohms and I know all their calls and many calls sold under other manufacturers names come through one shop in Perry County and all are hand tuned by either Dale's son or grandson. We're talking about many more calls than one or two people can hand produce individually. Do they cut down the tree and hand carve and assemble and carve the engravings by hand?? Probably not. If Dale Rohm handed you or the NWTF a call and said I personally made this call completely and he did not, then you have a gripe. If you won a numbered call at a banquet I don't know what you are complaining about. I can guarantee that call was designed by Rohms, laser engraved by Rohms and hand tuned by Rohms. Which is much more than most call makers can say.

You keep saying with some attitude, "He might be a peach of a guy". If you ever met any of the Rohms or hunted with them you'd know they really are peachy and have done more more for hunting and the wild turkey than any family I know. I hope they have a long successful career selling these calls.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » July 19th, 2011, 5:03 pm

You're accusing other call makers of not making their own calls from start to finish. You obviously have no clue of what you're talking about. But nice try.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 20th, 2011, 11:07 am

I heard that some dude named Scott makes willowridge's calls.

see how easy it is to get rumors and misunderstandings started

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » July 22nd, 2011, 11:54 pm

If the comment about winning a numbered call at a banquet was meant for me, I think I already stated my complaint. I thought I was purchasing a hand made custom call, and found out it wasn't. Nothing more, nothing less.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 23rd, 2011, 5:23 am

This is a discussion that can and has been debated for ever with no resolution.
IMO. A true custom call is one that is hand made and hand tuned by the call maker from start to finish. Embelishments such as painting and woodburning may be applied by a second party without interfering with the name custom call however carvings on the call should be done by the call maker. Embelishments should be initaled by the artist.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Previous

Return to Call Makers