Dale Rohm

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
BluMtnGobbler

Dale Rohm

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 5th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Anybody have any info on a call maker named DaleRohm?I heard he is from Pa.

Turkeybuster

RE: Dale Rohm

Postby Turkeybuster » March 5th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Yep he is from Perry County Pa. he has been making calls for a lot of years.

Jon
Turkeybuster

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 6th, 2011, 2:19 am

Thanks Jon

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » March 11th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Is that the guy that had the Amish making tons of box calls for him? Not trying to start anything, just curious.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 12th, 2011, 1:04 am

I don't know much about him. I do know that he has calls at NWTF banquet and my son won one at a jakes seminar a few years back. Other than that I haven'theard anything more about him.
Brian

MattC

Postby MattC » March 16th, 2011, 12:04 pm

They are very good calls. The first slate call I ever got was a Rohm. when I was 7(15 years ago). He is one of the best call makers around

Swampgobbler

Postby Swampgobbler » March 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm

i'd love to see a call that he made 100%.... the only call i got from him was sold through NWTF and rumor had it the Amish made the calls for Dale. it sounded pretty good but made me a little angry.

callturkey

Postby callturkey » April 1st, 2011, 2:05 am

I've known Dale for several years - alot of calls have passed through his shop. He got me started back in the early 80's hunting turkey and I've had the fever ever since - nothing like it! To me he makes some of the best calls I have ever come across!  have taken birds every year since being bitten by the bug. Over-all he is a good guy - GOD fearing - and very active in his community. I would buy one of his calls anyday over any of the other calls I have come across.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 1st, 2011, 3:20 am

I just saw Dale at the NWTF national convention in Nashville in February. He looks to be in good health and spirits. He was commissioned by the NWTF many years ago to make the box calls given as sponsor level donor gifts.

Given that there are 87 NWTF Chapters in Michigan alone and each chapter may need 10-15 calls for sponsors, how many do you think that would be for the entire country? Lets level that off to 50 chapters per state needing ten calls each. That's still 25,000 calls which is a very conservative estimate.

Expecting one man to produce that many calls out of his shop is totally unrealistic. It would actually please me to know that my call was designed by Dale and made by the Amish in Pennsylvania as opposed to being imported from China like almost everything else these days...and that the money went to a worthy cause like the NWTF.

Now, if you agreed to have to Dale make you a personal custom call (outside of the NWTF system) and found out otherwise, that's an entirely different matter.

*Edit- Chris, I see by your profile that you are custom call maker so I understand your feelings about this. Hopefully the numbers I posted will give you some perspective.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 1st, 2011, 6:12 am

When a custom call maker has anyone or any machine assist him in making a single call he is no longer a custom call maker. There are literally thousands of call makers that are commissioned by the NWTF to make donation calls. I'm not sure why you think he was commissioned to make calls for the entire state, he was most likely offered a life time membership to the NWTF to make $5,000.00 worth of calls for one specific NWTF chapter. That's the standard deal that the NWTF offers. Not 5,000 calls, but $5,000.00 worth of calls which is usually 500 actual calls. To sign your name on something should mean that you made it. With no help. "If" the Amish made his calls, it should be there names on it, not his. Maybe you have to be a custom call maker to understand this but there is no pride, no sense of accomplishment in putting out a turkey call that you had help making. It would be like Picasso telling someone what to paint and then Picasso sign it. The art of the craft is so much more than showing someone a design. The art of the craft is feeling the wood, listening to the different noises the wood makes as you work it, learning the woods personality and adjusting your design to match. I have heard several of Dale's calls, they sound good but in my opinion are in now way even close to being the best around.

As for the man himself, I have never met him, sounds like he's a peach of guy. But l have heard the rumor of Amish making his calls several times before, and if, if, if, if that is true, this gent is not worthy of being called an custom call maker.

Not trying to anger anyone, just offering a perspective from a custom call maker.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Next

Return to Call Makers