Spalted Maple slate-teak

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Spalted Maple slate-teak

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 16th, 2011, 10:20 am

Well guys i've been trying to come up with a slate call that will perform exactly like a glass call does. This call is very very close to that. It has a SOLID 4 note yelp to it, it starts out high, then drops a bit to the mid-tone and breaks over with a bang, then the rasp kicks in and starts with a higher pitched rasp the drops into a deep rasp as you finish your yelp. The rasp is not that dull flat sounding rasp that slates are famous for. It will hold that 4 note yelp from a tree yelp to a loud assembly call yelp. I ran it this morning outside in the rain and this afternoon in the brite less humid sunny day, and the call performed exactly the same. I ran it with a walnut/olive striker. The cutts are sharp with a touch of rasp at the end, and the purrs will change pitch even in a straight downward line. You can play it as soft as you want or get aggressive with it and it holds the same pitch and notes all the way through.

WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

RE: Spalted Maple slate-teak

Postby kenturkey89 » July 16th, 2011, 11:09 am

That looks awesome, Scott. Sounds like you're working on a winner for next years Grand Nationals [;)]
Brian

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 16th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Nice looking call Scott sounds like youre onto something there.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » July 18th, 2011, 6:52 am

Scott, Can you tell us why build a slate call to sound like a glass when a glass call does what we want? 2nd, what is it about a glass call that you were looking to change in the slate, vibration, longer yelps, quicker break, higher pitch.  3rd, did the spalted maple have anythijg to do with the new call, or could that have been accomplished with any wood?  4th, your sounds holes look the same so I presume they had no effect of the change? 5th, is this call deeper than you others--look like maybe. And last, congrats on doing whatever you did to break the mold to new horizons of a pot call.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 18th, 2011, 9:43 am

Great questions Scott. I'm not trying to build a slate call that sounds like a glass call, what I'm trying to get is a slate call that reacts the same as a glass call. If you run different strikers on a glass surface, you get a big difference in sound and how the call plays to each striker, with a slate surface you get a change but it's not as drastic as it is on a glass, so what I'm in search of is combos that will give a slate a more drasic change just like a glass surface does. Your strikers are the fine tuning device of a pot call, just like a tuning fork. If you pinch a striker tightly you get a higher pitch out of the call, if you hold it loosely you get a more raspier sound out of it. On a glass surface you really hear the difference, but not as much on a slate surface. That is what I'm looking to change, so the call reacts the same no matter what surface you've got in it. I'm not sure if the spalted maple had that much to do with how the call reacts? I'll find out more as more get build out of different woods. The call is exactly the same size as all my other calls. The sound holes have a lot to do with the sound of a call, if your sound holes are to big, you loose the echo out of the pot and it weakens the bottom of the call causing it to vibrate a lot more then it would with a smaller hole, just like if the bottom of the pot is too thin, that has a lot to do with the design of your pots. Just like running a thin or thick lid does on a box call. Most people really like the sound and ease of play of a slate surface, but you are somewhat limited to the sound you get out of the call, what I'm trying to do is find different combos that causes a call to react differently to however you play it so you get a more unlimited sound out of a slate call.

It's been fun [:D].
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » July 20th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Diversitility and flexibility in the call...I like that Scott and I really like your guts to experiment and break the mold. Though I don't build pot calls I think you are on to something--keep us informed on progress and thanks for indulging me and the questions.

bbcustomboxcalls

Postby bbcustomboxcalls » July 23rd, 2011, 3:22 am

Great looking call!

Bill

Warbird

Postby Warbird » July 23rd, 2011, 1:37 pm

Fine looking call Scott!
WARBIRD TURKEY CALLS - PREDATOR BY NATURE

Return to Call Makers