what goes in the pot?

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
yelp_wanted

what goes in the pot?

Postby yelp_wanted » May 21st, 2011, 7:42 am

My uncle was in town to visit recently. He's a woodworker and I was asking him some questions about what I'd need to turn out pots to begin making my own. I showed him some examples of what I was trying to do, and as a surprise, he went home and turned me out some pots. He even sent me a piece of slate that came off my great grandmother's roof. It's not the greatest sounding, but for sentimental reasons that's going to be my first piece of slate used. It makes pretty good purr and tree yelp sounds. I found a site that sells slates and aluminum, but they also have cork for sale.

So my questions are what is the cork used for, is it a requirement, and how's the best way to seal the slate piece to the pot? Any other suggestions for finishing the pot would be most welcome! I'll try to get some pictures posted later.
Thanks!

Dan

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: what goes in the pot?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 21st, 2011, 8:34 am

There is no cork in pot calls. Goop is a great glue for glueing your playing surface and your soundboard in. I like Deft for a finish on a call, but there are a lot of finishes that can be used.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers