HELP

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
mark hay

HELP

Postby mark hay » July 24th, 2011, 3:58 am

My uncle is up from Kentucky this weekend . We were discussing turkeys and turkey calls for some strange reason [8|].
 I was telling him about how some call makers use OLD CHESTNUT to make boxcalls . He tells me he has a stack of 100 year old chestnut planks stacked in a shed . He said they are roughly 1 inch thick and vary from 8 to 10 inches wide . Some as long as 12 feet .
 If anyone is willing to give me an idea as to the value of this wood I would greatly appreciate your input . I will be seeing him again today and will try to find out exactly how much he has , and if he is willing to part with some or all of it .

Many thanks,
Mark

Warbird

RE: HELP

Postby Warbird » July 24th, 2011, 4:12 am

Mark, depending on shape from poor to excellent range on price can be up to $8 a board ft on price. That is market fair price. It can be bought cheaper but much more and folks are gouging. Also factor in availability in your area. I'd offer $ 5-7 Bd ft and see what he thinks. Good luck on that and post pics if successful! -jim
WARBIRD TURKEY CALLS - PREDATOR BY NATURE

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 24th, 2011, 4:23 am

Thanks Jim . I'm not interested in the wood myself . I 'm simply looking to get an idea of the price range , and you have given what I'm looking for . My uncle is an old trader . I  just want to gain some insight on the wood and value to pass the info on to him . Being 80 and on limited income he's always got his eyes and ears open for a chance to make a buck . He said he's had the wood for a long time . I'll find out more details today .

Thank you.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 24th, 2011, 6:13 am

If his wood is in good useable shape and not split or cracked up to bad I'd be interested in a couple boards for pots.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 24th, 2011, 1:05 pm

I found out today that the wood came from an ancient house that Uncle Brad tore down years ago.  He could only tell me of the wood having nail holes in it .
 He'll be returning home this week . I'll be certain to ask him to look it over closely and give me a detailed description of the wood ,,,,,,,splits, cracks ,knotholes and such .

Scott , I'll see if he would be willing to part with part of it and let you know as soon as possible.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 25th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Mark check out this link. Several different sizes to choose from. You can watch them and see what they go for.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_ ... Categories
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 25th, 2011, 1:20 pm

With the Emerald ash borer ripping through the midwest several feet of curly ash may be a good investment for the grandkids. This bug is really tearing up the ash around here.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 30th, 2011, 1:17 am

My uncle is willing to sell the chestnut . Trouble is , he insists the buyer come and get it . He will not ship.
 The wood is in Somerset ,Ky.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 30th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Dang wish I lived closer, that chestnut makes some super fine slate calls.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers