Mystery wood

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
shad309

Mystery wood

Postby shad309 » May 16th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I'm inthe process of hand carving some friction calls. I found an old fencepost in the woods and decided to bring it home. I thought it might be some cedar if lucky. After my saw struggled to cut it into sections I sat down with my carving tools. After an hour and 1/4 inch removed (and half my thumb) I started chiseling out wood with the help of my hammer. I have no clue what this is but it's hard as a rock, smells soured, & makes reddish orange sawdust. I think they will look nice when finished.

Any clue what this is?

Everyday Hunter

RE: Mystery wood

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 16th, 2010, 5:37 pm

I can't say for sure, but you've given a few clues.

Locust is often used for fenceposts. It doesn't rot, or at least takes forever to rot. Also, locust grows fast, and I see wide-spaced growth rings in the cut ends. And, contrary to what one would expect of a fast-growing wood, locust is very hard. So, for those three reasons I'll place my guess on locust. Black locust, or honey locust, I'm not sure.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » May 17th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I have three guesses, black locust, black cherry or larch.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 17th, 2010, 4:15 pm

After both of your responses I did some internet research. I've come to the conclusion of black locust. This was the most widely used wood for fence posts in this region, photos of wood carvings from it looks identical, it's heavy, hard as hell, and it grows all over the area I found it.

I'm not gonna let this rock disguised as wood whip my butt! I will prevail and make my first handmade call out of it. Will post photos when finished.

Now for my thumb to heal.......#@$%@!# hard wood!!!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 18th, 2010, 8:37 am

I saw a new fencepost that replaced an old one while hunting this morning. I know it was locust, but I don't know if it was black or honey. The grain in the end looked like the grain in your photo.

I have some black locust trees in my back yard, and I will probably cut a couple of them down in a year or two. I might save the wood, so I'm looking forward to you posting a picture of your results.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Call Makers