wood suggestions for a matched set

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Ruttinbull

wood suggestions for a matched set

Postby Ruttinbull » May 17th, 2011, 3:25 am

Hello fellers,

Now that my turkey season is winding down I am setting my sights on next season. I am looking to make a matched set of turkey calls for myself (ceramic over ?, Bronze Glass over ?, short box, maybe a long box, and at least one locater).

I am open to wood suggestions but currently I am considering claro walnut. I am also considering madrone. Any other suggestions?

Randy

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: wood suggestions for a matched set

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 17th, 2011, 10:15 am

Hard curly maple, it will play great for every call your looking to make.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » May 17th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Thanks much for the suggestion! I will certainly look into it. I think my local supplier only has a west coast maple species but I will ask.

Randy

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 17th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I second the curly maple. I have personally, never worked with it, but I've played and listened to calls made with it and they all sounded really good and they look beautiful too! I saw on another forum a couple days ago that a guy made 3 different pot calls out of zebrawood and they were all presented in a matched zebrawood box. The set was absolutely beautiful and that could be another wood you could consider. I also like the claro walnut idea. Good luck and I hope to see pictures sometime when you get finished with them!
Brian

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » May 19th, 2011, 7:27 am

Got a vote for the curly maple as well and send me a PM if you need some, I have a ton of it!

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » May 19th, 2011, 11:24 am

I might have some sort of wood that you may want..... wood trade? For that matter.... wood trade anyone?

I bought madrone last night which is a little thicker than 3/4 inch. I couldnt stand it and cut off a little slab and made a striker. Kinda bland looking wood but it seemed to mellow out my glass call a bit. I also have a little claro walnut on hand. After I get a bit of sleep under my belt I am going to make a madrone pot and throw in a claro walnut soundboard. Glass surface. It should look sharp... we shall see.

Randy

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » May 31st, 2011, 8:46 pm

I would suggest the following:

1.) Buckeye Burl and Gabon Ebony
2.) Curly Koa and Osage Orange
3.) Easter Red Cedar and Holley

Since you're making a matched set for yourself, spare no expense. Check out these wood species and whatever you decide, find some really special pieces. Build them to last a few generations.

For the pot call I would recommend glass over glass or crystal over glass. I use copper, aluminum, slatek, glass, crystal and slate and glass over glass is my all time favorite. Which ever you choose, i would say use glass as your sound board. For the striker, be sure to mend in the second species of wood that you use in your box calls to make them match.

Then post the pictures!
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » June 1st, 2011, 3:39 am

I went to bed last night trying to think of what it is that I am going to make my own set out of.

Presently I have been making glass calls like crazy for friends. I have a list that seems to be a mile long. I have been making most of these "gift calls" out of Pacific Madrone which grows locally. It turns fairly nice and polishes up very well. The sound board has been claro walnut and the differnces in wood are complimentary but striking.

I stopped by the glass shop yesterday and bought 40 pieces of glass. They should be ready by the time I am off work today.

Box calls.... I have yet to "get it." I have a piece of cherry that I am going to make my next attempt at the box call. I built a call out of a piece of cherry that I cut from the front yard. After buying and reading the Neil Cost chapter... I found out I did it all wrong... but still managed to get some decent sounds out of it. It is pretty and cool and my first so it has some sentimental value.

Thanks for the suggestions... I am chewing on them all!

Return to Call Makers