Failed calls

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Failed calls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 24th, 2014, 11:08 am

Well as some of you know, I've been working on some new designs for the Teasers. I've built 7 of them and everyone ended in the wood burner. My idea was to make a double sided tongue call, with the tongue on one side and a different playing surface on the other (glass or slate). That idea is no longer. The first one I built had a tongue on one side and a glass on the other. The tongue side played great, it was extra loud with that glass bottom and would play just like the other calls do, but the glass side was as dead as can be, no volume or sound change and or rollover at all, even a purr pot sounds better. Figured what it needed and build another, this one had a brace support left across the center to keep the glass from vibrating to much. That idea didn't work either. The next one I build I left the center support in and added a small soundboard under the glass. So much for that idea, it was a nightmare to build and it still didn't have any sound to it. The next ones I used a slate surface on. I hollowed out the box and left a thin bottom on it, then glued the slate over the wood, like a trough call is made. It played but you had to play it super aggressive just to get tree talk out of it. It's like having too big of holes drilled in the bottom of a pot call, it will play but it's dead sounding. The next 2 I built I had tongues on both sides, one I built with the tongues both facing the same way and the other I built with the tongues facing opposite ways. Neither way made a difference so that idea is out. With both sides of the box open you don't have a echo chamber in the call to give it the sounds needed to produce a good turkey voice. So after 7 ideas and all failed I've given up on any oddball styled tongue calls, and will stick with what works the best :roll: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Re: Failed calls

Postby ylpnfol » July 5th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained....
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Call Makers