Treerooster's pine box

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Treerooster's pine box

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 11th, 2013, 12:22 am

Just finished this pine box up for Gary. He asked for a little something different in the sound, and with a little digging I found the right piece of maple for the surface. It has a sweet smooth hollow sound to the yelps with just a little deep rasp at the end, but will get nasty if you get on it. The purrs are soft and smooth with a good soft chatter to them. The kee kees are a sharp clean whistle, both high and low tones. The cutts are snappy and sharp.
This pine also has the mineral stains in it with a bluish/grey on the bottom and a brownish/black ring around the top of the box.
Hope you like it, Gary.
Scott
Attachments
TRPine.jpg
TRPine.jpg (64.55 KiB) Viewed 264 times
TRPine3.jpg
TRPine3.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 264 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Re: Treerooster's pine box

Postby Treerooster » December 11th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Thanks Scott.

Yep I do kinda like a smooth sound. My Burrville Bomber has that and it has worked well for me. But I like to get nasty once in a while too. :D

Looking forward to getting the call and playing around with it.

Good luck in the Nationals...if they ever figure out the category. :?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » December 11th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Gary,
Scott built one for me in the same wood combo. I tried it for the first time in the woods Monday and man are you going to love the one you are getting.
The depth and range of sound is awesome, and with very little pressure you can really make it reach out if you want it to.
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 27th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Got my call yesterday and have been playing with it.

This is a neat little call!

It has a really a good range of calls on it along with a wide range of loudness and pitch that is very easy to change.

I have already done some nice purrs, fighting purrs, yelps, clucks and cutting. Got a passable kee kee out of it but I think I need to condition it now.

This call reminds me of my Morgan Frictionwood caller only the yelps are better and it has a wider range of how loud/quiet I can get. Kenny Morgan refers to "the quaver of a young hen" on his Frictionwood. I like to use that call and I can get it on the Tongue Teaser. The Teaser will do what my Frictionwood could do and a lot more. I think its gonna get the spot in my vest where the Frictionwood went. :D

I will be playing around with this a lot. I want to try some different strikers that I have and see how they might sound. My Frictionwood caller was pretty fussy on which striker I could use so I want to see how this call is in that respect.

Thanks Scott!!
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Return to Call Makers