Something Different

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Something Different

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 29th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Right now I'm working on a new designed call. I'm trying to build a combo call, with a vibrating tongue on the front and a scratch box on the back, using the striker to play both by hollowing out the striker top to play the scratch box and the peg to play the tongue call part of it. The first one didn't sound that great because the scratch board on the back/bottom was to thin and gave the call a dead raspy sound, something I still need to improve before I OK it for use. Here is a peek at my design.
Attachments
Proto type.jpg
Proto type.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 206 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Re: Something Different

Postby Dixie Belle » October 29th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Super idea Scott. That combo would be awesome. Dropped you a PM.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 30th, 2013, 11:16 am

Cool idea Scott. Will you have to cut a slot out on the side of the lip to get the sound of scratch box? If so, how will that effect the sound of the tongue? I have no doubts that you will be able to get it call in a turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 30th, 2013, 12:41 pm

On scratch boxes builders will trim the wood away from the scratch board to let it vibrate and to let the sound out, some will drill holes in the top or make the opening bigger to let more sound out. With this design, the cut around the tongue is what lets the sound out, the hole in the tongue you cover with your thumb and then you can control how much sound you let out by appling a little pressure down on it to open the cut up a little more. The small cut along the scratch board shouldn't effect the sound any? Pappy drills a hole in the end of his to put the striker in and even with that hole in it, it doesn't effect the sound any. I've also considered adding a thin slice of wood glued down half the center of the box with an arch cut out the bottom of it and holes drilled in it to let the sound travel all through the call, but yet give the tongue a solid backing to bounce the sound of the tongue call off of it.
It will take some engineering to figure everything out and just where to apply everything, but I think I can figure it all out? That's half the fun of trying these new designs :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers