Mouth call tape issues

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Gopherlongbeards

Mouth call tape issues

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 10th, 2013, 7:44 pm

I have been having problems lately with the tape on my mouth calls. After a few days of use the tape loses its seal to the frame and comes loose, especially on the bottom of the call. Needless to say this really messes up the calls. I have had this happen with calls from a few different manufacturers, and not with others so I'm thinking it may be an issue with the tape? I have not had these problems until this past spring, so maybe something has changed with the tape being used? Its very frustrating. I have found several calls I really like only to have the tape come loose after a couple days rendering them useless. I have tried replacing the tape with mouth call tape from Brookside game calls, but it also comes loose after a few days. Using glue keeps the tape on, but is messy and its very easy to mess up the call by getting some on the reeds. Does anyone have some recommendations for tape that will not slip? (I prefer softer, more flexible tape, it seals better in my mouth.)

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Mouth call tape issues

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 10th, 2013, 9:35 pm

That's been a common problem with mouth calls the last couple years. I'm not sure if it's all a tape problem or a hurry up and get it out the door problem.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Re: Mouth call tape issues

Postby Duke0002 » January 11th, 2013, 12:49 pm

I talked with Ted Cramer (Cramer Calls) and he was told the problem was some sort of oil or lubricant on the frame from the manufacturer/supplier. Asked him to wash the frames in a bowl of water and dish soap, rinse and dry in a colander. The ones Ted sent me this fall had no separation problems.

It could be the tape, however.

Return to Call Makers