Short box

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
CMBOSTC

Short box

Postby CMBOSTC » November 3rd, 2012, 7:23 pm

Just listed on eBay for $.99! This is a yellow heart/sassafras short box.

There wasn't much interest in the last one that I sold. I believe that there is a misconception that a short box must have a base. I can't speak for other designs. I can tell you that this short box sounds amazing without a base.

http://pbckt.com/ph.R9LM4V

Chris
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"!

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Short box

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 3rd, 2012, 8:21 pm

The reason most want a base on their short boxes, is because it allows them to keep their fingers off the soundboards, which effects the sound of the call, and most hang on to their calls to tight. Like a longbox has a handle to hang on to, so it keeps your fingers away from the playing surfaces. Turpins don't have a base either, but they are cut a bit different than a Cost style box, with a bottom that's a bit thicker than the Cost style call, which allows you to get your fingers away from the soundboards a little better.
Good looking call though. ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

CMBOSTC

Postby CMBOSTC » November 3rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

Scott, I know why! All of what you said is a misconception. Your fingers don't affect the calling surface as much as you may think. If you clinch the sides hard enough it does deaden the sound. I don't know why you would do that in the first place. Again, I can only speak for my design! I have made enough of them and have tested them to know unless you death clinch them your fingers don't affect the sound.

Chris

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 4th, 2012, 12:09 am

What I ment by stating that Chris, is that a lot of guys like to have the call sit in the palm of their hand and tighten their hand up a little to hold the call. With a baseless you can't do that very good, and you have to hold it with your finger tips, and some hold it to far up the sides if they are waring gloves. I know what your saying about holding a call to tight, very commonly done when I hand a turpin to a new caller. They try to hold it the same as they would their Cost style box that has a base, and they end up with their fingers half way up the soundboards :lol: "nope can't do it that way". I don't have bases on any of my hunting calls, I prefer them not to have a base.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

CMBOSTC

Postby CMBOSTC » November 4th, 2012, 5:00 am

I agree. I hold the call with my finger tips low and to the rear of the call.

Return to Call Makers