Refinishing my box call, should I put some sort of sealer or

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
brkncly

Refinishing my box call, should I put some sort of sealer or

Postby brkncly » April 25th, 2012, 11:39 am

So I'm refinishing my box call, lightly sanding and cleaning it up. I've noticed that there is no sealer or lacquer on any of the wood anymore, what should I put on to protect the wood from dirt, rain (water spots)oil etc.  I just don't know what to use that won't effect the sound of the box call. Please let me know to do or what to use.  Thanks a lot!

Kawboy888

Re: Refinishing my box call, should I put some sort of seale

Postby Kawboy888 » April 27th, 2012, 12:12 am

If it's a call that does not have any sentimental value or monetary value you have several options. If it's an important call, you may want to consider sending it to one of us call makers and have us do it for you.

To do it yourself I would recommend an oil based aerosol spray can. Use masking tape to cover the bottom of the paddle and the top of the rails. This is not what I personally use, but my finish tends to be a bit glossy like wet glass. You can also consider using the wipe on polys like tru oil, minwax or watco.. Mylands sanding sealer is something that we commonly use if we want to use a sanding sealer. I don't think you need it, I rarely use it myself.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Return to Call Makers