scratch box help

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Ruttinbull

scratch box help

Postby Ruttinbull » June 12th, 2011, 1:45 pm

I have scoured several sites and have discovered that there is definately a mystique in scratchbox work. I would like to try to build my own. I understand you likely will not want to post openly.... would you please pm me with any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Randy

kygobbler

RE: scratch box help

Postby kygobbler » June 12th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Randy, I cant help you out on making one, but I do I have a question about them. First off let me say this I have never seen one in person before. So do you work them sorta like a pot n peg? I know that is probably a dumb question but forgive me since I've never seen one.
Is it turkey season yet?

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 12th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Randy i can't help you on how to make one but i'm sure there are some guys here that can . Bryan scatch boxes are like pot calls a little i have a lynch jet it's one of my favorite calls it's in my pocket durning the fall season they work the same as a pot and peg but you form the sound chamber with your hand and they're not the loudest calls you'll use [:D]wayne

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 12th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Heres a link that will help get ya started Randy.This fella is a great guy to talk to so feel free to contact him.I can give ya a little bit of help myself if you find anything confusing with your build.This is one of the more common styles of scratch boxes you'll find.Easy Build and has great sound.Scratch Box Tutorial
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » June 13th, 2011, 3:47 am

Thanks a ton! Now that I looked at it I have seen it before but it has been a long time ago. I tried to do a little search before I posted here and found nothing so I do indeed appreciate the link!

Gotta get to the shop!

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » June 22nd, 2011, 8:54 am

Just read your post Randy, maybe I can be of help. I build scratch boxes for several customers up in GA. and they seem to like them, so here goes. I looked at the link given to you by SpitnDrum and the builder there uses a box similar to the one I build with some differences. The resonator plate he uses on his box seems to be somewhat thicker than mine and also his does not extend beyond the edge of the box. I use a plate about 1/16 of an inch thick, also of cedar, but mine extends beyond the edge of the box about 1/4 inch. I taper the extended portion of the plate carefully as well as rounding the edge while tuning the box to get the sound I like. I use a turned cedar "striker" about 5/16 to 3/8 inch in diameter about 2 1/2 inches long(I turn them myself). I use box chalk on the "striker" just as you would on the lid of a box call. The mouth opening shown on the call in the link appears to be about 1/16 inch that's pretty much the same as mine.
To work the call you can either hold the "striker" steady between the thumb and forefinger of your left hand and the box between the thumb and middle finger of your right, resting your index finger on the bottom of the box. The box will be upside down with the resonator plate facing away from your right palm, by using a rocking motion you can then work the edge of the lip on the "striker". You can also hold the box steady and work the lip with the "striker" holding everything right side up.With practice you can make yelps, clucks and purrs. Like a pot call scratch boxes work well for subtle close in work. Hope I did not confuse you and that this will help.
No matter what design you use a scratch box will add a lot to your calling.

Good luck.
Ted,
DIXIE BELLE
Handcrafted Turkey Calls

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » June 24th, 2011, 3:43 am

Thanks a bunch Ted.
I have been caught up with chasing the kids around to different sports and making slate calls for friends. This will help me refocus and get back to it!

Return to Call Makers