Making Box Calls?

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Dale L.

Making Box Calls?

Postby Dale L. » March 6th, 2011, 7:52 am

Been wanting to try to make a box call or two. Any suggestions on what I need and how to do it would be appreciated. I have a walnut tree on the ground right now I thought I could probably use that. Thanks for any suggestions and replies.

BluMtnGobbler

RE: Making Box Calls?

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 6th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Dale, I started making box calls about a year ago. Check out http://www.customsawing.com/index.html. You can get directions and actually kits for box and pot calls
Brian

retranger

Postby retranger » March 6th, 2011, 1:26 pm

http://www.customsawing.com/index.html.
Address can not find the site. You need to use this: http://www.customsawing.com/ You apparently don't need the "index.html. at the end
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 6th, 2011, 5:21 pm

What type of box call you looking to make Dale, a glued up box or a hewned out box?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dale L.

Postby Dale L. » March 7th, 2011, 1:58 am

Willowridge- I am looking to make a hewned out box.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 7th, 2011, 3:51 am

How long has that walnut been down and any idea how dry it is?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misfire

Postby misfire » March 7th, 2011, 11:19 am

I would highly recommend contacting the GA State Chapter NWTF and ordering the Neil Cost video they have. Very informative

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 7th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Dale, Sorry about that .You dont need index.html. They do have some directions for hewn out boxes. Look under FAQs.You can print them out.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » March 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm

1. Table Saw - Set the table saw blade at 5 degrees to cut the sides of your block. I also use the table saw for cutting my scraps into inlay material.

2. Drill press with forstner bits. Set the drill press to the slowest possible speed and use forstner bits to remove the majority of the material that creates the channel inside the call.

3. Dremel tool with 1/2 sanding drums at 60 grit - After I drill out most of the material I use the dremel on a relatively slow speed to clean up the inside of the call.

4. Belt sander or equivelant - i use three different sanding belts, 50, 80 and 120. All depends on what wood species I am using.

5. Chisels - Some prefer to use very sharp wood chisels to hewn out the inside of the box. I personally do not prefer this method.

A band saw is nice to have, if you have one you will know why. I also use my huge and mighty powerful 12" miter saw for squaring up the ends of my 2x2" stock prior to cutting the 5 degrees on the sides.

For dimensions and measurements, copy your favorite box call. Measure it and do your best to copy it. A lot of call makers get all outraged when they hear the word, "copy". They seem to have forgotten how they first got started. Not too mention most of them copy the Neil Cost box down to the checkering. Copy your favorite call until you have the fundamentals down.

The fundamentals being the shape. Tuning the call is a whole new process. The curve of the sides, the thickness and curve of the paddle and thickness of the sides are all things that you will mess with when you tune the call.

Once you make a dozen calls you will be comfortable with the fundamentals and will then begin working on your tone and the tuning process. You will probably end up making another couple dozen calls before you realistically start to find your own design.

Use black walnut for both the paddle and the lid for your first dozen calls. Unless of course you have other wood that is cheaper. Black walnut is garbage wood in my shop, so i use black walnut to practice ideas on.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 11th, 2011, 5:37 am

Here you go Dale this will help you out a little bit. Click on box calls there is a tutorial there that will help you.

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers