Turning Turkey Calls

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Stoner

RE: Turning Turkey Calls

Postby Stoner » January 31st, 2011, 4:01 pm

ORIGINAL: Limb Hanger

Hey Stoner - I finally was able to get a hour or so to work in the wood shop and did some turning. I've looked on line for specifics on the sounding board for a slate call. It is to my understanding that the material may be formica, slate, wood, or glass. Is there a specifc diameter or thickness?

The thickness is going to be different depending on the material you are using for the soundboard. The diameter should be about 1/8" shy of touching the walls of your call. The most important facto is the distance from your top surface (slate, glass, etc.) to the soundboard. Call makers may have different opinions, my calls have about 1/8 space. I have done so many calls, I do not measure, I can look at it after I lay the soundboard on the pedestial while it is still on the lathe and tell if I have it right. I will post another hint or suggestion that will help you when gluing your soundboards to your pedestial, it will make it alot easier. I will have to find the photos.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » February 1st, 2011, 12:59 am

Thanks Stoner, I appreciate the help!
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

rob120784

Postby rob120784 » March 11th, 2011, 6:09 pm

I am interested in making myself a slate call. I want to know if you can make one using nothing but hole saws

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » March 11th, 2011, 8:18 pm

[font=calibri]I gave the larger Forsner bits a try; I purchased them at Woodcraft (24.00 ea). I used the 3 1/8" bit for the hole for the pot, and a 3 ½" bit for the recess to hold the slate. The call turned out "okay"; the recess diameter for the slate had a little more play that I'd like. I also used my lathe to finish the outside of the call.
[font=calibri]Stoner's instructions are fantastic. I also found some other instructions for turning pots on the Custom Calls web site; they are listed as "Custom Calls Pot Tutorial".
[font=calibri]Ed
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

Previous

Return to Call Makers