Gaining access

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
BluMtnGobbler

Gaining access

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Does anyone have any tips on gaining access to private land to hunt? What to say, how to present question to landowner, etc. thanks

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Gaining access

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 24th, 2011, 1:14 pm

When I ask for permission to hunt, I always introduce myself, ask for permission to hunt whatever game I'm interested in hunting, and chat a little with the land owner. I always ask if they need help doing something around the farm and thank them for their time, wheather I get permission to hunt or not. I like to stop and talk with them around lunch time before or after, before they get to busy. I've had some folks call me up two week later and allow he to hunt after they said no when I've asked?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » March 24th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Brian first I would mention a thing or two I wouldn't do. I would not go dressed in camo, neither would I wear a suit. Clean everyday street cloths would work along with a clean shave, trimmed beard etc. Try to pick a time that will be convenient (not meal time). If you know the person this will help you know what time is best. Introduce your self and offer hand shake, carry on light conversation. Eg; nice weather we're having. Or nice place you have here. If you have seen birds on his property you might ask it he is a hunter. If he is you may not need go further, but who knows. If he is a new hunter you might offer some pointers maybe offer to go and call for him,,,,,,, So he's not a hunter,,,,,, tell him you noticed birds on his property and if it would be permissible to hunt there. If you get permission ask about places to park any no go areas, gates to leave open or close etc. Go back after the season and report your experience. If you were successful offer to share your rewards with him. If you don't get permission be polite and thank him for his time. You will catch more flies with honey than you will vinegar. Just my opinion but worked for me. Good Luck[;)][;)]

PS
Hope you weren't in the tornado's down there
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Thanks alot guys.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 2:26 pm

No tornadoes near me but some crazy weather.A few days ago it was 70 degrees and sunny now in 30's with about 3" of snow ,rain.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » March 24th, 2011, 4:08 pm

[font=calibri]A business card has been instrumental in my getting permission to hunt on private property. My card reads, "Seeking Hunting Privileges" for Woodchucks, Ducks/Geese, Deer, and Turkey. The business card has my contact information and license plate number on it. I bought adhesive magnets at Staples, and secured the business card to it (very accessible). I present the business card when introducing myself.
[font=calibri] I make a point of stopping during the off season, and am usually able to get a "foot in the door" by shooting woodchucks or geese. Let the farmer/landowner know that the permission granted is for you and possibly a person that accompanies you, and that's it. A reference from other farmers/land owners isn't a bad idea either.
[font=calibri]At Christmas, I'll stop with a fruit basket and a card. Periodically, I'll buy gift certificates to the farmer's/land owners favorite restaurant (he'd go for breakfast every morning). I offer to fix fences, bail hay... Last year, I made a box call for the farmer's son; I called in his first Tom, 21lbs, 9.5" beard, and 1.25" spurs.
[font=calibri]In my opinion, it's just as important to stop and visit during the off season as it is to stop and visit during hunting season.
[font=calibri]Ed
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

retranger

Postby retranger » March 24th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Good points Ed[;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Strategies