DSD Decoys?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
beagler

DSD Decoys?

Postby beagler » March 26th, 2011, 8:29 am

Any of you gentlemen use Dave Smith Decoys? Was thinking about purchasing the upright hen.

Fan Club

RE: DSD Decoys?

Postby Fan Club » March 26th, 2011, 5:38 pm

No opinion about DSD, have never seen them in use.

I have however, had much better sucess with dekes since doing away with any uprights and switching to feeding a/o sitting submissive hens with or without a strutter. An upright turkey has usually been alarmed or at a minimum is wary or unsure of its environment. This doesn't exactly put approaching turkeys at ease. A feeding hen is comfortable and at the same time gives the impression she is ignoring an approaching gobbler playing on his ego. My two cents.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

ljmelea

Postby ljmelea » March 27th, 2011, 7:47 am

I have two of the older style dave smith decoys and plan to buy the new flexible hen.Since buying them,all my other ones stay home,good decoys.Larry
good luck

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 27th, 2011, 7:57 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

No opinion about DSD, have never seen them in use.

I have however, had much better sucess with dekes since doing away with any uprights and switching to feeding a/o sitting submissive hens with or without a strutter. An upright turkey has usually been alarmed or at a minimum is wary or unsure of its environment. This doesn't exactly put approaching turkeys at ease. A feeding hen is comfortable and at the same time gives the impression she is ignoring an approaching gobbler playing on his ego. My two cents.

I agree, I think the feeder or relaxed hen makes a much better decoy.

WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies