Did I Blow It?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
STEW

RE: Did I Blow It?

Postby STEW » March 19th, 2011, 2:54 am

i wouid have put a blind that close to the roost tree if i were you now tha you know what direction he went when he flew down thats half the battle won sit somewhere about 75 yards in the direction he went next time give him a couple soft tree clucks you need to be the first turkey he hears in the morning if your lucky he will pitch down in your lap give him some lead for breakfast. good luck.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 19th, 2011, 4:42 am

Yep, you were too close. If you could see him at 55 yards, he could see you and also couldn't see the hen he was looking for. Set up farther away and use a decoy. After a few mornings you'll get some idea of his preferred routine.

Also I avoid sitting under very large trees that I can't see around (with minimal movement) for other turkeys. That's buggered me up more than once.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

LA Longbeard

Postby LA Longbeard » March 20th, 2011, 10:46 am

Well been back last 2 mornings, no bird. Will try him next 2 mornings before I try something else. Haven't heard any close by either morning, could just be in another section right now. Thanks for all the advice.

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 2nd, 2011, 4:35 pm

i would have went back to that spot around 10 a.m. and called again,  chances are he came back looking for that hen that sounded good before but a lil different,  probably 70 percent of the birds i have killed have been from 9 a.m. to noon,  after the hens they are with go to the nest leaving the bird alone,  turkeys love the company of each other,  and a in heat hen,  is even better.
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Previous

Return to Strategies