Windy day

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
kygobbler

RE: Windy day

Postby kygobbler » April 3rd, 2011, 5:23 am

Hey Dan, go thru that thicket but take your time going thru don't sound like a bull in a china shop. Also, I would be willing to bet there has to be a deer trail going thru it somewhere, use it just be carefully because if it is as thick as you say it is I would bet the turkeys are using it as well. Good luck and stay with it.

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » April 3rd, 2011, 12:57 pm

Well I've already learned the thing turkeys are predictable is that they're unpredictable, haha.

On the powerline we have a foodplot then going down the hill is a logging road. So yesterday morning I slicked in there. Hung out all morning and didnt get any action. So I called it a morning, and walked slowly back to my truck. On the entrance road to the powerline, we must dropped some seed because there is some vegetation there. I was still walking slowly looking at my feet for turkey sign. As I rounded the corner there stood a Tom. We looked at each other for a few seconds and then he took three steps and was gone. I tried pulling back and circling, but no luck. I was so disgusted about I didn't even want to post it yesterday. One of these days I'm going to do the right thing, I just don't want to educate the turkeys while doing it.

I set up on a food plot and put a decoy out. I had another hen come in and feed for about an hour. This plot is just right across the entrance road where I walked up on the Tom yesterday. Sooner or later these hens are going to be dragging their boyfriends with them.

Before the season, all the gobbling I heard came close to the powerlne. I think the rain and pushed the turkys to the interior. Anyway, thanks again for the pointers. I'm now sitting on the powerline hoping to find a gobbler for in the morning.

Thanks!

Dan

retranger

Postby retranger » April 3rd, 2011, 1:37 pm

I set up on a food plot and put a decoy out. I had another hen come in and feed for about an hour. This plot is just right across the entrance road where I walked up on the Tom yesterday. Sooner or later these hens are going to be dragging their boyfriends with them.

I'd say you're learning fast!![:D] Them damn birds will raise h--- with the hunter. Thats where the fun is although nerve racking. I would be on that food with a book and lunch, calling about every 20-30 minutes and wait him out. He will be there.[;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 3rd, 2011, 1:54 pm

Hey Dan, Here's a tip . Keep after the turkeys . Use what you've learned to bag ol' tom. And when you are hunting , forget about everyone and anything else . Don't allow peer pressure to influence you . I say these things because that is exactly what I did when I first started . I always entered the woods with the thought in the back of my mind that ''I JUST GOTTA KILL ONE ''.
 Now days ,,,I enter the woods with the mindset of ,,,,''I MUST FIRST TRICK HIM WITH GOOD CALLING AND A SET UP '', then maybe I'll kill him ,,,maybe I'll let him walk knowing I could have killed him .
 It took me five seasons to kill one on my own . I didn't have anyone teaching me nor the internet . Only a few magazine articles and lots of mistakes . You have a lot in your favor and no doubt you'll will tag a bird .

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 6th, 2011, 4:19 am

If you're seeing turkeys and have heard them along the powerline, you're in the right place. It may not be good in high winds, but you gotta hunt when you have time to. The gobblers at my lease like to use the powerlines as a strut zone because the rest of the cover is hard to see through. Since you have a food plot out there that the birds actively feed in, a gobbler will be along at some point. As long as you don't push him out of there, I'd say you stand a good chance of getting a crack at one there during the season. Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Strategies